Brunel Design has a well-established record of research excellence, with multidisciplinary, product-related design research grounded on strong engineering design traditions. Research activities within the design programmes at Brunel cover a wide-ranging and diverse field of topics. Academic staff involved within these programmes combine human-centred design for autonomous vehicles, ageing demographics and healthcare systems; from incorporating sustainability in design by developing cleaner electronics, design for 3D and 4D printing, and incorporating social responsibility; to using innovative design for creative industries and information architecture.
Research in Design is organised according to the following thematic priorities:
- Human-Centred Design through inclusive design, design for ageing demographics, perception and enhancement.
- Sustainable Design through social responsibility, cleaner electronics and advanced materials and manufacture.
- Advanced Technologies through engineering methods, optimization techniques, computer-aided-design and other emerging technologies.
- Products, services and digital design through design innovation management, open design, design entrepreneurship, creativity, the digital economy, digital production and interfaces, and Information Architecture.
The department’s scope of research includes but is not limited to:
- Human Centred Design
- Trust in autonomous vehicles
- Inclusive Design and Design of Healthcare Systems
- Perception Enhancement
- Design and Sustainability - theory, methods and tools
- Design for 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing) and Printed Electronics
- 4D Printing / Shape Memory Materials for Additive Manufacturing
- Social impact of Distributed Manufacturing Systems
- Design Innovation Management
- Digital Design, Interfaces and Digital Production
- Open Design and Co-Design
- Social Innovation
- Pedagogy and Curriculum
Research students are welcomed as valued members of our thriving, research-intensive community in Brunel Design. Our doctoral researchers join the Made in Brunel team in annual final year project showcase and lead-up events. In addition, our yearly Design Doctoral Symposium, as well as social events, enable you to foster vibrant connections with the outside research community.
Find out about the exciting research we do in this area. Browse profiles of our experts, discover the research groups and their inspirational research activities you too could be part of. We’ve also made available extensive reading materials published by our academics and PhD students.
Learn more about research in this area.