Clearing and Adjustment
Clearing is now closed for 2016/17 entry
Clearing and Adjustment runs from July to September, and helps prospective students find places available on selected courses. The next opportunity to join us through Clearing and Adjustment will be in July 2017 for courses starting in September 2017.
For more information about the Clearing and Adjustment process, visit the UCAS website.
Even if you join us through Clearing we can offer you guaranteed accommodation. Our London campus means that everything is one place - shops, restaurants, pharmacy, arts centre, medical centre, world-class sports facilities and more.
With over 150 clubs and societies, a huge support network and a diverse student body, you'll quickly become a part of Brunel's vibrant international community.
Find out more about campus life at Brunel.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Clearing
What is Clearing?
Clearing is how universities and colleges fill any places they still have on their courses.
It's an ideal way for you to find another course if you have missed out on your grades, or if you have not secured your first or second (Firm or Insurance) choice of course. It’s also for any students who haven’t applied through UCAS yet, or who sent their application to UCAS after 30 June.
Clearing is not just for A-Level students, but BTEC, IB, Access, Mature, International students and any other type of student too.
When does Clearing start?
Clearing is available each year from July to mid-September.
Most people think that Clearing only happens on A-Level results day, when it actually starts in July and ends in September. We will feature our Clearing and Adjustment vacancies on our website from July giving you plenty of time to do some advance planning or research on potential courses of interest.
How does Clearing work on UCAS?
You can see which of our courses are in Clearing by looking at our website and also at UCAS.com. If you are in Clearing, your status in UCAS Track will reflect this.
Once you have decided which course you are interested in, you should get in touch with us to discuss your options and to get a provisional offer. Remember to have your UCAS Personal ID number and your exam results to hand before you call.
What happens after I've been offered a place?
- You will receive email confirmation of your provisional offer within one hour of speaking to us
- Refer yourself to us on UCAS Track (you do not need to wait for this email before referring yourself on UCAS Track). Under ‘Add a Clearing Choice’, select Brunel B84 and the course you have been offered (please note at this stage, you will not see the provisional offer from Brunel on your UCAS Track page).
- Once you have referred yourself to Brunel we will process your application. Please bear in mind that we will be extremely busy on Friday 19 August 2016 as we have a lot of applicants interested in Brunel so it might be Saturday before we manage to confirm your place through Clearing. However we will work through the weekend to try and get your place confirmed at Brunel as quickly as possible.
- Once we have confirmed your offer we will update Track and you will receive your formal offer email from us.
- You will now be able to apply for your accommodation.
- If you are applying for Student Finance, please contact your Student Finance team to let them know of your new course details.
What is Adjustment?
Each year some applicants gain better exam results than they were predicted or expected. The Adjustment Period provides an opportunity for applicants who have met and exceeded the conditions of their Firm choice offer to reconsider where and what to study.
To apply to Brunel through Adjustment call us on +44 (0)1895 272273 and select the Adjustment option when prompted to do so.
The Adjustment Period allows you to be considered for a place on one of the courses with vacancies at Brunel University London whilst you retain your offer at your chosen institution. Your place at your current Firm choice university will only be declined if you decide to take up the offer of a place at a different university.
Brunel will be considering Adjustment applications for any course for which we have Clearing vacancies. We are not able to offer Adjustment places for any courses that are not in Clearing.
For more information on Adjustment you can watch the UCAS video.
How do I apply for an Adjustment place at Brunel University London?
If you have exceeded the conditions of your Conditional Firm (CF) choice and have registered for Adjustment with UCAS, you should check our Clearing vacancy details to see if we have vacancies in your chosen subject area.
If we have, you should call us on +44 (0)1895 272273 and select the Adjustment option when prompted to do so.
You will need to give us the following information:
- Your UCAS personal ID
- Your email address (we will send you an email if we can offer you a place so please make sure you provide an address you have access to)
- Details of your exam results (grades achieved and subjects)
- Details of your Conditional Firm offer to show you have met and exceeded the grades
- Details of the course you want to apply for
For more details about the Adjustment Period and to register for Adjustment please visit the UCAS website.
How do I know if I'm eligible for Adjustment?
To be eligible to use Adjustment:
- Your results must have met and exceeded the conditions of your Conditional Firm (CF) choice; and
- You need to have paid the UCAS full application fee (if you have not you will need to pay the full application fee to register for Adjustment)
You are not eligible to use Adjustment if:
- You are confirmed (UF) at your firm choice but did not exceed the conditions of the offer;
- You have a confirmed place on a changed course offer;
- Your original offer was unconditional.
- You were not accepted by your Firm choice university
How do I register for Adjustment?
Before registering for Adjustment you should consider non-academic arrangements such as accommodation and student finance. These may be difficult to secure or there may be delays if changes are made at short notice. Brunel would also recommend that you speak to your Careers Advisor, your teachers and your parents before deciding to Adjust to another university.
The Adjustment process is available from A-level results day until 31 August. Details of your individual Adjustment Period timings can be found in UCAS Track. You should also register for Adjustment through Track.
If you want to try to find an alternative course you must register to use Adjustment before contacting Brunel so that we can view your application.
If you do not find a suitable place elsewhere you will remain accepted at your original choice.
What happens after I've been offered a place?
To accept the place you have to e-mail the Admissions Office and accept the verbal offer in writing. We will then confirm this place on UCAS Track after receiving your e-mail.
Once you have been formally accepted by us through Track you will be able to apply for accommodation. If you are applying for student finance anywhere you should also contact your Student Finance team to let them know of your new course details.