Visas and Immigration

Do I need a visa to study at Brunel University London?

If you are an international student then you may need a visa to study at Brunel University London. If you are not sure then you can use the 'Do I need a visa?' service on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for more help.

What type of visa do I need?

For all Undergraduate, Postgraduate and most English Language courses at Brunel University London you should typically apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, which covers the whole duration of your course. The Points Based System was introduced by the UK Government in 2008 and it is often subject to change. You should make sure to consult the most up to date guidance available on the UKVI website.

Tier 4 Sponsor Licence

Your Tier 4 student visa must have been issued for Brunel University London (and for the course for which you obtained an offer with us). It must include Brunel's Tier 4 Sponsor Licence Number (beginning with a zero) to be able to register on your course. This will be based on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) that we will send to you (see the CAS section). If you are applying for a pathway course with our partner institution, Brunel University London will also act as the sponsor for your visa.

 If you do need a visa you must have this before you can register for your course when you arrive at Brunel University London. Please refer to the section on this website 'Visa Clearance at Registration' for further details.

Immigration Queries

If you have any further questions we are happy to answer them by email. Please contact us at We can provide immigration advice by email but we are not able to offer appointments or in-depth advice to applicants.

For information on our services for current students, please see our Services for Current Students web pages. 

Page last updated: Monday 21 December 2015