Questions and Answers


How do I get to Brunel and is the University well connected by public transport?

See Directions to Brunel by road and public transport.

What is your campus code?

There is no campus code for Brunel.

What is your Institution Code?


Can students bring cars onto campus?

If you live in halls of residence or within a two-mile radius of the University, you will not be permitted to park on campus and it is unlikely you will need the use of a car. If you live further than two miles away, or if you are a disabled blue badge holder, you will be eligible to apply for a parking permit, which currently costs £93 a year.

What is the area around the University like?

The Uxbridge campus is about a 15-minute walk into to the town centre and then a 40-minute train journey from Uxbridge town straight into London. Uxbridge has two shopping centres: The Chimes and The Pavilions. Both have a variety of clothes shops ranging from high street to designer stores. The Chimes has a multiplex cinema based on the second floor and shows all the latest releases. There are also plenty of pubs, bars and restaurants in Uxbridge town centre.

When are the Open Days?

For the dates, see our Open Days page.

Do I have to book for an Open Day?

For UG Open Days, prior booking is essential. You can book by calling 01895 265596/5 or online. You don’t have to book for a PG Open Day but it is advisable.


What courses do you offer?

Brunel offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Go to our main Course Pages for more details.

What's the difference between undergraduate and postgraduate courses?

An undergraduate course is the first degree you will do. Once you have successfully completed this you may then able to go on to do a postgraduate course if you wish.

Do you do part-time courses?

Brunel offers part-time courses in some subjects.

What are sandwich courses?

Sandwich courses run overfour years and include a work placement. Students following a four-year thin sandwich course spend two periods on work placements, one in Year 2 and another in Year 3. On a four-year thick sandwich route the whole of Year 3 is spent gaining work experience. The rest of your academic study follows the same pattern as the three-year, full-time route.

What's the difference between lectures and seminars?

You will be taught in a number of different ways depending on the course you do. All courses have an element of lectures and seminars, and some subjects such as Biosciences, Engineering and Sport Sciences will also involve laboratory sessions. Arts students will also spend time in studios and edit suites.

Lectures are generally held in large theatres with up to 300 students. A lecturer will teach you for approximately one to two hours about a particular area of the module you are doing.

Seminars are much smaller groups of about 20 students, where you will have the chance to ask questions and make presentations about the material in the lecture and, along with individual reading and study, ensure you understand it.

How much will the course cost?

Our fees vary by course, most UG courses will cost around £9,000 for the 2012/13 academic year. Further information on Student Finance.


I have some questions regarding a course, who should I contact?

Our Course Enquiries number is 01895 265599. The best way to find out more about a course is to attend a Brunel Open Day. Following an Open Day you can contact the relevant School directly for further questions using the main University switchboard 01895 274000.

How can I get a copy of the prospectus?

You can order a copy of the current undergraduate or postgraduate prospectus online.

How do I apply for an undergraduate course?

You will need to apply through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). You can pick up some top tips on completing your personal statement by clicking here.

How do I apply for a postgraduate course?

You need to apply directly to Brunel using the relevant online application form for both taught and research courses. You can find the online application forms for taught degrees on the relevant course pages and the research degree online application forms on our Research pages. Our Postgraduate Study page has all the details.

Do I need to have Maths and English GCSE?

Applicants are required to have at least 5 GCSES at Grade C or above, including both Maths and English Language.

Will I be a home or overseas student?

Where it is unclear whether you should be classified as home or overseas for fee purposes, you will be asked to complete and return a fee status questionnaire to the Admissions Office, once an offer of a place has been issued. Further details on the criteria used to determine the classification can be found on the UKCISA website.

Can I transfer into an undergraduate programme from another University?

Many of our degree programmes will consider second year transfers as long as you meet the academic requirements for the course. You will need to contact our Admissions Office on 01895 265265 to check whether you could be considered.

What are the term dates?

See University Term Dates.


Will first year students get a room on campus?

Main scheme first year undergraduate students (excluding those who come through clearing) are guaranteed on-campus accommodation for their first year. Clearing students may also be placed on-campus but this is not guaranteed. Postgraduate students can also apply to live on campus.

How do I apply for accommodation?

For information on our on-campus accommodation and how to apply see the Accommodation pages.

How much does on-campus accommodation cost and will I need to pay a deposit?

The Accommodation Office requires a retainer deposit to secure your allocation prior to your arrival this will cost around £350. Accommodation fees have been set for 2012/13 at the following weekly amounts: Saltash, Chepstow, Clifton Halls (single room with washbasin) £94.01, Mill Hall (budget en suite) £117.74, Faraday, Fleming, Bishop, Lancaster, Isambard and Galbraith Halls (luxury en suite) £119.77.

Can I choose between en suite and standard?

You will be sent a preference form which will need to be completed and sent back to the Accommodation Office. On this form you will need to indicate what sort of room you would prefer. Please note that en suite preferences cannot be guaranteed.

Do I have to pay my accommodation fees before I move in?

Residents will be charged accommodation fees for the tenancy period stated in their Tenancy Agreement. Accommodation fees are paid in three termly instalments by undergraduates and four termly instalments by postgraduate students.

Do you have accommodation suitable for disabled people?

Most halls of residence have specially adapted rooms for use by students with disabilities, including wheelchair accessible rooms and rooms designed specifically for students with hearing impairments. Other adaptations can be made to meet individual students’ needs as they arise.

Are rooms cleaned?

Yes, rooms, bathrooms and communal areas are cleaned regularly in accordance with the cleaning rotas, which are displayed on the residences notice boards.

Do you provide bed linen?

Bed linen and duvets are provided and can be changed weekly.

Do you provide utensils and crockery?

Each shared kitchen is equipped with a cooker, fridge/freezer and kettle but students are required to provide their own cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery. Storage areas are provided in each kitchen.

What else do you provide?

  • Furniture and fittings, bed linen and duvet
  • Heating (First Monday of October to last Friday of April)
  • Lighting and water
  • Clean accommodation on occupation and cleaning of it regularly
  • Shared or en suite bathrooms, shared kitchen and coin-operated laundry facilities.
  • Insurance of the buildings Insurance of personal effects Site security staff.
  • Repair and maintenance of the buildings
  • Free access to the University computer network

See the accommodation FAQ page.


What food outlets are there on campus?

We have the following food outlets on campus:

  • The Refectory, which serves hot and cold food all day
  • Locos (Student Union bar)
  • Bar Zest - this is the newly refurbished bar in the sports centre.
  • Rococo Café
  • Campus Store - this is the University shop that sells drinks and snacks.
  • Costcutters Shop

What sports facilities are there on campus?

Brunel has very impressive indoor and outdoor sports facilities. We have the More Energy Fitness Centre, which is over two floors. A recently refurbished weight-training room. There are two multipurpose sports halls. One of these halls has the artificial climbing wall, rated as one of the best in the country. A Netball Hall, Indoor Athletics Centre and outdoor 3rd generation synthetic pitches, athletics track, tennis courts and prestige football pitch.

We also have treatment and therapy rooms, which are available to students, staff and members of the public.

For more information on our sports facilities, visit our Sports pages.

Do you have a medical centre?

We do have a medical centre that is based on campus. The Practice is open from 8:30am to 6:30pm on weekdays, for general enquires and the collection of prescriptions, letters and making appointments. There is a daily weekday Walk-in surgery between 11.30am and 1.15pm during term time.

Do you have any arts facilities?

We do have an Arts Centre, which has different classes available to students, staff and members of the public.

Who may I speak to about my disability needs?

Contact the Disability/Dyslexia Service:

Bannerman Centre, Room 315
Brunel University
Kingston Lane
Middlesex UB8 3PH

Tel: 01895 265213
Fax: 01895 269767
Minicom: 01895 816246


What's the Students' Union like?

The Union of Brunel Students website gives you the low-down on everything the Union can do for you. If you come to an Open Day don't forget to quiz our current students about life at Brunel!

What clubs/societies can I be a member of?

There are over 100 clubs and societies that you can join ranging from football and rugby to ultimate frisbee, sub aqua and sky diving, as well as interest groups, religious and cultural societies. You also have the option of setting up your own club.

To find out what societies are already up and running, to to

Contact Us

The Admissions Office deals with all undergraduate and postgraduate applications and admissions to the University.

The Admissions Office aims to:

  • develop and implement the University's admission policy;
  • ensure that all applications and admissions at undergraduate and postgraduate level are dealt with in a friendly, effective and efficient manner;
  • enable decisions to be made promptly on all applications.

Admissions Office
Room 213 Bannerman Building
Brunel University London
Middlesex UB8 3PH

Tel +44 (0)1895 265265

Contact us

Page last updated: Tuesday 24 April 2012