Politics, International Politics
Research your future career - how do I do this?
Once you’ve done some general research into your career of interest, you may want to investigate your sector in a bit more detail. We’ve compiled some resources for you including useful websites, recruitment specialists and professional organisations.
It’s important to remember that these are more than just potential sources for vacancies; keeping informed about industry news will really help you when it comes to answering interview questions and preparing applications that stand out from the crowd.
Placement and Careers Centre (PCC)
Whether you are at the beginning of exploring your career options, or have a good idea about what you want to do, the PCC are here to help. For initial discussions you can come to Quick Query or if you need more time you can book an appointment direct with your Careers Consultant.
Our LibraryThing online resource enables you to browse the reference books available to use in the PCC. Just drop-in Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.45pm and browse the books available.
- BBC Democracy Live BBC Parliament information, political debate and analysis
- BBC News
- Conservative Party
- Gov today Public sector news and events platform with views from all areas of local and central government
- Gov.UK Official UK government website for public service information
- European Parliament Find out how the European parliament organises its work
- Hansard Society Independent, non-partisan, political research and education charity whose aim is to strengthen parliamentary democracy and encourage greater public involvement in politics
- Human Rights Watch Reports on human rights issues worldwide
- Labour Party
- Liberal Democrat Party
- Number 10 Official site for the British Prime Minister's office
- Parliament UK Information website for UK Parliament and how it works - committees, bills and legislation
- Press Association National news agency
- Public Affairs Jobs HQ News and resources for the professional lobbyist/policy professional sector - how to find jobs, network effectively and prepare for interview for lobbying and policy jobs
- Public Affairs Networking Public affairs, government relations, policy and communications network. Members are from all the sectors concerned with government affairs, policy, stakeholder relations, corporate communications and lobbying. Has an information section for graduates
- UN Global Issues Overview of global issues concerning the UN
- UN Human Rights UN human rights webpage
- Working for an MP (w4mp) Resource for anyone working for a British Member of Parliament or with an interest in how Parliament works
- Worldwide Governments on the WWW Information resource - worldwide governments
Sources for jobs
- Electus Specialist recruitment for public affairs, policy, public relations and corporate communications professionals. Clients include blue chip companies, leading trade bodies, charities, NGO's and political and communications agencies
- Public AffairsLinks Website for lobbying careers and job opportunities in the public and government affairs industry in UK/Europe/US
- UNjobs United Nations (UN) current vacancies listings
- Association of Professional Political Consultants (appc) Self regulatory body for UK public affairs practitioners
- Have Your Say Parliamentary news resource for exploring impact of legislation
- Trades Union Congress (TUC) UK national trade union centre representing the vast majority of organised workers
- UN Information on all aspects of the workings of the United Nations