Job Shop

To help our students earn money or gain useful work experience we have a Job Shop on campus. All opportunities are advertised on our online jobs boards.

Part-time jobs

Whether you want general part-time work on campus and in the local area, or more specific course-related opportunities we can help you find and apply for a variety of roles.

On-campus opportunities

Visit our brand new, Job Shop Online where you can register to be part of our ready-to-work pool of student candidates for part-time on-campus jobs that complement your study commitments.

Off-campus opportunities

Visit the PDC Jobs Board to search for part-time and vacation opportunities within the local area and further afield.

Part-time job fairs

Our autumn and summer recruitment fairs are a great way to meet part-time and temporary job recruiters.

Working on campus

This information is for students who have already secured an offer of work on campus. If you are interested in viewing the opportunities currently available, please check our vacancies.

Congratulations on securing a student job at Brunel University London. Whilst you work with us, no matter what your role or its duration, we consider you to be a member of staff. This means we expect professionalism from you, but in turn you have certain employment rights.

The Job Shop acts as your HR contact whilst working on campus. As well as issuing contracts, timesheets and payslips, we can provide advice on a number of employment areas. We hold information handouts on the following:

  • Tax
  • National Insurance
  • Employment rights
  • Information for International Students


Once you have been offered work on campus the Job Shop will email to your Brunel email account Registration Documents. Please complete and return these to the Job Shop along with your Passport, Student ID and Visa (if you require one) as soon as possible and in any case before you are due to start work.

The information collected is securely held by the Job Shop only and entered onto the University secure HR database for payroll purposes. The information provided will never be shared with any other member of staff at the University or with a third party without your permission to do so. 


At registration with the Job Shop you will have also completed your registration with Brunel Talent Bank. You can use Brunel Talent Bank to access your on-line timesheets and submit them for authorisation to your Line Manager/Supervisor.  

It is essential that you complete and submit your timesheets for authorisation each week that you work, so that we can pay you the correct amount.

You will find help and advice videos on how to submit your timesheets at Brunel Talent Bank but if you have any queries or would like further help or advice please contact or drop in to see us.

Hours of work

Your hours of work will be decided between you and your supervisor. You are only paid for the hours you complete, this does not include rest breaks or your lunch break. There is no occupational sick pay provision or payment for other causes of absence in relation to your employment.

Pay day

Providing you have submitted your timesheets using Brunel Talent Bank you will be paid on the 27th of each month. Where the 27th falls at the weekend you will be paid on the preceding Friday. Payment will be made by BACS transfer to your bank account.

Pay slips

Your pay slip is available to view online via My View on the 27th of each month. Log in with your payroll number (sent to you by Job Shop when you registered) and your My View password. Payslips can be printed for your records directly from My View if you wish. 

Holiday pay

The statutory entitlement for holiday pay is 28 days per annum, you will be paid the equivalent pro-rated amount of holiday pay in addition to your monthly salary. The annual leave to which you are entitled will be deemed to have been taken at the end of your employment under your contract.


P60's are available at the end of each financial year (April/May) and are available to view via My View. Log in with your payroll number and your My View password. P60s can be printed for your records directly from My View if you wish. 

Pension scheme

You may be elligible to join the Brunel University pension scheme, please contact Brunel University London Payroll and Pensions department for more information

When your contract ends 

When your contract has expired you will need to request a P45 from the Job Shop, it will not be automatically produced. Your P45 can be provided to your new employer and provides them with your tax code.

This does not prevent you from working on campus again during your duration as a student at Brunel, if you are successful in gaining further work at Brunel we will restart your employment.

As a Brunel graduate you can continue to work on campus in a job that you started whilst you were a current student, until the end of term following completion of study. If you are an international student and your visa expires earlier than this, you cannot work past the date of your visa. 

Postgraduate students can continue to work on campus until the end of term following completion of study (if this meets the requirements of department you are working in). If you are an international student and your visa expires earlier than this, you cannot work past the date of your visa.

Useful information & contacts

Job Shop (Professional Development Centre)
You can find us next to Santander, on the corner of the Hamilton Centre

Tel: 01895 265759

University Payroll

Finding Local Employment

It can be hard to know where to start job hunting locally, so here are some ideas.

One of the most successful ways to look for part-time work is to simply go to your local town centre or shopping centre and find which shops, restaurants or pubs are hiring. Make sure your CV is up to date and free of errors. It is always a good idea to visit the PDC to have someone look it over.

If you are being proactive about looking for work, this makes an excellent impression on employers. When enquiring about vacancies, it always helps to be polite and friendly. Most stores or businesses will have vacancies advertised in their shop windows so it’s best to target those but speculative enquiries can never hurt.

Many vacancies are now advertised online, especially for larger companies, so searching online is also a very good idea. However many jobs that are available in the hospitality sector, bar and waitressing work for example, may not be.

Be smart about what time of year you are looking for work as well, in the months coming up to Christmas most businesses are looking for extra staff and Christmas Temps. This can be an excellent way to gain some experience. If you work hard and do well, most companies will consider keeping you permanently.

PDC Job Shop

Visit the PDC on campus to find out more about Job Shop vacancies and use our online vacancy board for up-to-date listings of temporary work, part-time work and vacation work. Good online resources for part-time jobs specifically for students are:

Local and free newspapers

Local newspapers can prove to be a valuable resource for job vacancies, both permanent and part-time/casual posts:

Current editions of the Uxbridge Gazette are available in the PDC

Pick up free papers like Metro and London Evening Standard, which you can find at bus and tube stations in and around London

Jobs at Brunel University London

See the recruitment pages on the main Brunel website

Recruitment agencies

For listings of employment agencies use Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) - to search by activity and location

Jobs at Heathrow

For information on jobs in retail outlets, catering facilities and other companies based at the airport site visit ""

Local Jobcentres

  • Hayes – 818-820 Uxbridge Road, Hayes, UB4 0RS
  • Hounslow – 10 Montague Road, Hounslow, TW3 1LE
  • Uxbridge – Senator House, Belmont Road, Uxbridge UB8 1DP
  • See also Jobcentre Plus - and explore a database of varied jobs by local area

Disability Employment Advisers

If you have a disability or a learning difficulty and feel that you might need extra employment support, your local Jobcentre can put you in touch with one of their Disability Employment Advisers

A range of services are provided including information about employers in your area who have adopted the 'two ticks' disability symbol. This symbol identifies employers who are positive about employing disabled people

Large local employers

Some examples of large employers local to Brunel University London are:

Colleges and hospitals

Uxbridge College and Hillingdon Hospital can also be sources of local vacancies

Voluntary work

Identifying fake or scam jobs

When making online applications , there are some general principles to keep in mind in order to ensure you don’t become the victim of fraud. Unfortunately,from time to time, vacancies are advertised online with the intent of acquiring your personal or financial information for use in a fraudulent manner. Here are some basic guidelines to help you identify potential fake or scam jobs.

Make sure the employer is genuine

  • Professional companies will use company email addresses and traceable contact numbers. Always research the company online and call a registered landline number to speak to someone about the role.
  • Be aware of job offers that come from unofficial email addresses (or variations of the actual company email address) such as gmail, hotmail, etc. Fraudulent individuals will often steal the reputation of a company and pretend to be advertising job opportunities in their name.

The application process

  • Legitimate jobs will always have a formal application process and securing a role without attending aface to face interview is a very unlikely occurrence.
  • Be alert to job offers that barely match your experience or skill set – these are likely to be a scam
  • If you are asked for personal information, such as a copy of your passport, driving license or bank account details without having met the employer, it is likely that the opportunity is fake and an attempt at identity theft.

Pay and duties

  • If the pay on offer seems too good to be true for the work you are required to do, it probably is. Be wary of ‘employers’ who ask you to transfer money on their behalf or run shopping errands on receipt of a cheque. Also, if there are significant differences between the job that was advertised and what you are being asked to do you should investigate further.

Keep your identity safe

  • If you are uploading your CV onto an online job board avoid including personal identification details and definitely not financial information.
  • When applying for a job online, if you are asked to send a form of identification for to be scanned to check your identity beware - this is not a legitimate request.
  • Social media sites are also great ways for fraudsters to find unwitting job seekers and to gain a full employment history and background to use in building the relationship.

What should you do if you think you’ve identified a fake vacancy?

If you believe you have been a victim of a scam vacancy contact the Professional Development Centre immediately. We will be able to advise you on your next steps and help you get in contact with the relevant people and organisations. 

Your rights when working

National Minimum Wage

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour which most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. With a few exceptions, it applies to all workers over the compulsory school leaving age. The rate is reviewed every year. Any changes take place in October. All employers have to pay the NMW to workers who are eligible for it – there are no exceptions for different types or size of employer. Where you work in the UK makes no difference to the level of NMW you should receive.

There are different levels of NMW, which depend on your age. Click here to find the current rates.

  • Adults (which means people aged 21 and over)
  • Workers aged 18 to 20 inclusive (often known as the developmental rate)
  • Young workers (often known as the youth rate)

A young worker is someone who is older than school leaving age and younger than 18. You are under school leaving age until the end of summer term of the school year in which you turn 16.

You can contact the National Minimum Wage Helpline (0800 917 2368) or visit the website for further help and advice.

If your employment status is an ‘employee’ or a ‘worker’ then it is likely that you will be put on your employer’s payroll, paid directly into your bank account

Deductions from wages

Your employer is only allowed to make a deduction from your wages when it falls into certain special categories, such as for tax or for recovering previous over payments. If you think that part or all of your wages have been wrongly deducted or withheld by your employer then you should seek advice as soon as possible.

Payslips must show earnings before and after any deductions, explain any deductions and show how the wage is paid.

You should keep your payslips for as long as possible as proof of your earnings, tax paid and any pension contributions.

If you think you are not being paid some or all of the wages owed to you orif you are not getting a proper payslipplease seek advice as soon as possible. 

Please visit the website for more information.

For more useful information about deductions from wages visit the Tax Guide for Students website.

National Insurance

Anyone that works in the UK must apply for a National Insurance (NI) Number, but you do not need to have received your NI Number before you can start work.

If you were born in the UK you should have received a National Insurance number around your 16th birthday, if you were living in the UK at that time.

If you have never received a National Insurance Number (for example if you are an international student) you will need to apply for one. You should contact the Jobcentre Plus application line on 0345 600 0643 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Working Time Regulations

In 1998 the Working Time Regulations were implemented to ensure that UK legislation complied with EU standards. This means that in most circumstances there are legal limits on the number of hours your employer can force you to work and special rules for the number of unpaid rest breaks you are entitled to.


From 1 April 2009 all workers have a statutory right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave (that is at least 28 days' paid holiday if you work five days a week). Your employer could choose to include bank holidays in the 5.6 weeks.

You do not have the right to choose when you take your holiday and your employer can bar you from taking holidays at certain times of year. You should give your employer sufficient notice when you want to take holiday.

If you leave your job with holiday pay owing you are entitled to holiday pay related to how long you have worked. If you have not taken any holiday and your contract entitles you to 5.6 weeks paid holiday but you leave after 6 months you will be entitled to 2.8 weeks holiday pay. If you have taken more holiday in the period than you should have done then you may have to pay it back.

Please visit the website for more information.


Term-time working and Work-study balance

Rights to work and clarification on term time

All students working for Brunel University London are restricted to working 15 hours a week during term time.  Additionally, students studying with a Tier 4 visa are restricted by law to the numbers of hours they can work (paid or unpaid) in the UK during term time.

Click here to find the University’s policy on ‘Rights to work for students and clarification on term time’.


Work-study balance 

Part-time work can be an excellent way for students to gain experience while helping to fund their education. More than 60% of students either work, or intend to work, part-time during their studies. These jobs will not only develop transferable skills such as communication skills and team working, they will also give students a clearer picture of what they do or don’t want in a job when they graduate. With all the part-time job opportunities available, it is important for students to manage their time appropriately to ensure their academic studies are not adversely affected.

Working can create opportunities for students to develop their interpersonal skills without potentially harming their academic life. Students who choose to work should recognise that it can start to impact on their studies. On average, full-time university students spend 35-40 hours per week on academic expectations. Students are all different, however, data indicates that working more than 15 hours a week can adversely affect students’ academic studies. It is important that students are realistic about their work/study balance:

  • Be realistic about the number of number of hours you can work while you are studying. In addition to the academic demands, remember you need time to eat and sleep.
  • If you let work affect your academic studies, this may affect your results and your employability long term after you graduate.
  • Planning ahead for busy times on your course will help you maintain a better work/study balance. You may need to cut back working when you are preparing for your exams.
  • If you’re struggling, seek help or advice from your tutor.
  • Don’t forget to leave time for leisure activities! This is as much part of your university experience as your studies.
  • There are only 24 hours in a day, 168 hours in a week: be realistic about how much you can get done.
  • If you are a student studying on a Tier 4 visa, UK Visa & Immigration have placed additional restrictions on your rights to work in the UK.

Check your work/study balance here

Click here to look at your budget and see if you actually need the added pressure that working too much while studying will add. 

Page last updated: Tuesday 22 August 2017