Professor Hari-Babu Nadendla
Russell Building 119
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265466
Professor Hari Babu Nadendla joined Brunel University London in 2006. Prior to that he was a Research Fellow (1999-2002), then a Senior Research Fellow (2002-2003) and, ultimately, Advanced Research Fellow (2003-2006) at the University of Cambridge. He has published over 200 papers in international peer reviewed journals and holds 4 international patents. He was awarded the PASREG award of excellence in 2007 for his outstanding contribution to the development and characterisation of bulk high temperatures superconductors. During his post-doctoral career, he received best poster presentation awards. Since joining BCAST, his research has expanded from processing of superconducting materials to understanding the heterogeneous nucleation process during solidification, developing chemical grain refiners for Al and Mg alloys, processing of high performance MMCs using intensive melt shearing, and twin roll casting Al-alloys from a recycled source for automotive application.
- Ph. D (Superconducting materials) Defense Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Univ. Hyderabad, India (1998).
- M. Sc (Physics & Advanced Electronics), University of Hyderabad, India (1992).
- B. Sc (Maths, Phys. & Electronics), Nagarjuna University, India (1990).
- Professor, BCAST, Institute of Materials and Manufacturing, Brunel University London, UK
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow (Dec'06-Oct'08); BCAST, Brunel University London
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow (Oct'03-Nov'06): Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge
- The Sackler Fellow (Dec 2004-Dec 2006): Magdalene College, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Senior Research Associate (Nov'02-Sep'03), Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK
- Leverhulme Special Research Fellow (Dec'00-Nov'02), Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Research Associate (May'98-Nov'00), IRC in Superconductivity, University of Cambridge, UK.
Teaching & Supervision:
- MSc (Structural Integrity - Metallurgy and Materials module), Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University London, 2014 onwards
- Level 2, Fluid Dynamics lab
- MSc (Adv. Manufac. Methods : Metals, Electro-ceramics, Superconductors, Composites, Nanotechnology, (Nano-devices), School of Engineering, Brunel University London, 2007 - 2010
- Teaching (Theory): Ist and IInd year undergraduate Engineering Materials, Cambridge, 2002 - 2006
- IVth year B.Eng student project work
- Summer research project studentships- 2002 - 2003, 2003 -2004, 2004- 2005 (~100h per annum)
- International visiting Ph.D students and students at IRC in collaboration with other academic staff
- Teaching (Experiments): Materials lab, Part I At and IB undergraduate at Eng. Dept. (1999-2004) (~ 80 hours per year)
- Supervised junior post-docs, several Ph. D students and a technician at IRC in Superconductivity for the past 8 years as a senior researcher in the melt processing group headed by Professor D. A. Cardwell.
- Experimental techniques in winter school program conducted yearly (2001-2006) at IRC in Superconductivity
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (2016), from Brunel University London.
- Charles Hatchett Award (2016) Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3).
- Innovation Award (Nov 2015) from Cast Metals Federation.
- PASREG award of Excellence (Sept 2007) by the International PASERG Board.
- Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- Fellow of the Institute of Cast Metals Engineers
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
Newest selected publications
Bolzoni, L., Joshi, U., Alain, R., Garetto, D. and Nadendla, H. (Accepted) 'Refinement of Mg alloys crystal structure via Nb-based heterogeneous substrates for improved performances'. Materials Science and Engineering: A. ISSN: 0921-5093 Open Access Link
Kassam, TA., Nadendla, HB., Ludford, N., Yan, S. and Howkins, A. (2018) 'Secondary Phase Interaction at Interfaces of High-Strength Brazed Joints made using Liquid Phase Sintered Alumina Ceramics and Ag-Cu-Ti Braze Alloys'. Scientific Reports. ISSN: 2045-2322 Open Access Link
Basak, CB. and Babu, NH. (2017) 'Influence of Cu on modifying the beta phase and enhancing the mechanical properties of recycled Al-Si-Fe cast alloys'. Scientific Reports, 7 (1).Open Access Link
Sreekumar, VM., Nadendla, HB. and Eskin, D. (Accepted) 'Prospects of in-situ α-Al2O3 as an inoculant in Aluminium- a feasibility study'. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. ISSN: 1059-9495 Open Access Link
Daudin, R., Terzi, S., Lhuissier, P., Tamayo, J., Scheel, M., Babu, NH., (2017) 'Particle-induced morphological modification of Al alloy equiaxed dendrites revealed by sub-second in situ microtomography'. Acta Materialia, 125. pp. 303 - 310. ISSN: 1359-6454 Open Access Linket al.