Mentoring is a powerful tool – as a mentor you support a mentee to manage their own learning and development. You help set personal goals and work together towards achieving positive change. By sharing your knowledge, experience and expertise you can help your mentee develop a competitive edge in the graduate job market.
Why are we running the programme?
- We are supporting the pipeline of female applicants to engineering and technology industry sectors
- Our students become more employable
- They will create stronger links with employers during their academic studies and before they graduate
- The mentoring experience increases thier commercial awareness
- It builds their confidence and networks at a crucial stage
- It develops and maintains new and existing industrial relationships with Brunel University London
Do you fit the bill?
- Are you a professional or employer in the engineering or computing sectors with at least 4 years work experience?
- Are you enthusiastic and committed to the idea of mentoring?
- Can you listen and offer constructive guidance and support?
- Can you identify the mentee’s strengths and weaknesses and develop their potential?
- Can you provide an adequate amount of time to meet and be in contact with the mentee?
- Are you keen to see people develop and succeed?
What does it entail?
- Your role is to guide your mentee – help build their confidence, support their career path, share your experiences and listen
- You can mentor face to face, by email, phone or Skype – we’re flexible
- Commit to just an hour per month with your mentee – more if you can – for at least 7 months, November to May
- Come along for three hour training workshop at the Launch in November
How do you benefit?
- Gain the satisfaction of helping others
- Give a strong message as a role model from your sector on varied career opportunities
- Target potential employees of the future
- Expand your own perspective and enhance your own professional development
- Improve your communication and personal skills
- Develop leadership and management qualities
- Develop your relationship with the Brunel University London
Want a diversified team? Become Hire STEM Women Certified
Firstly, a huge thank you to all the mentors and companies for their contribution and support of the programme and our students.
What our Mentors said about the Mentoring Programme
85.7% of mentors reported that they had increased their confidence as mentors as a result of taking part in the scheme
“The guidelines have helped me with my own company mentoring”
“Exposed me to people with very different backgrounds and experience”
“Shared training with mentee, and good thought provoking training presenters”
“The opportunity to provide support to an individual, at a time in their lives when they are juggling priorities.To provide advice, guidance and a snap shot of reality”
“Mentoring reignited my passion for engineering”
We are always actively looking for additional mentors, both with engineering and /or IT related specialisms. If you wish to volunteer for the coming programme which will run for 7 months from November 2018 to May 2019 please contact Giselle Hayward, Women in Engineering Mentoring Manager for an informal chat.
Email:Giselle.firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Tel: +44 (0)1895 266343
If you are ready to complete the first step to be matched with a suitable student, please complete our mentor profile form and thank you for your support.