Professor Mark Atherton
Professor of Design Engineering
Howell Building 113
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266690
Mark is Professor of Design Engineering in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. He has developed industrial products and manufacturing systems, and is currently working with industrial organisations on dental drill noise reduction, robotic servicing of trains and design tools for invention. Mark teaches engineering design and design optimisation.
- BSc(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from Aston University, Birmingham.
- MSc/DIC in Industrial Robotics and Manufacturing Automation from Imperial College, London.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering Design from City University, London.
- Industrial experience: apprenticeship with Rubery Owen, followed by engineering positions with Driver Southall (GEC), Otis Elevator, and Redland Engineering.
- Academic posts at London South Bank University and Brunel University London.
- Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- CEDPS Academic Lead for proposed new DEC building.
- Leader of Mech Eng Design Engineering curriculum development, MACE.
- CEDPS Future L1 Integrated Project Committee.
- ME1332 Introduction to Engineering Design, Module Leader.
- ME2603 Design and Analysis of Mechanical Systems and Components, Module Leader.
- ME5314/5542 Advanced Modelling and Design, Module Leader.
- Deputy Head of Mechanical Engineering department, 2007-2009.
- Director of University Research Centre for Engineering Dynamics, 2010-2012.
- Course Director of BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering plus derivatives, MACE, 2007-2014.
- Chairman of Engineering Applications Panel, MACE, 2005-2014.
- Chairman of Exam Boards for MA courses, Brunel Design, 2005-2009.
- Mech Eng Academic Development Group, curriculum development, MACE, 2009-2014.
- Champion of Made in Brunel for Mechanical Engineering, MACE, 2007-2015.
- Level 3 Tutor, MACE, 2014-2015.
- School of Engineering and Design Research Committee, BUL, 2012-2014.
- Open Days and Applicant Days speaker, Mechanical Engineering, 2005-2015.
- University Space Management Framework Working Group, BUL, 2010
Newest selected publications
Atherton, M., Jiang, P., Harrison, D. and Malizia, A. (2017) 'Design for invention: annotation of Functional Geometry Interaction for representing novel working principles'. Research in Engineering Design. ISSN: 0934-9839 Open Access Link
Jiang, P., Atherton, M., Harrison, D. and Malizia, A. (2017) 'Framework of mechanical design knowledge representations for avoiding patent infringement'.ICED17 21st International Conference on Engineering Design. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. 21 - 25 AugustOpen Access Link
Hill, SA., Atherton, M., Ajovalasit, M. and Harrison, D. (2017) 'Robust automated servicing of passenger train fluids'.The Stephenson Conference: Research for Railways. IMechE, 1 Bridcage Walk, London. 25 - 27 AprilOpen Access Link
Li, Z., Atherton, M. and Harrison, D. (2014) 'Identifying patent conflicts: TRIZ-Led Patent Mapping'. World Patent Information. ISSN: 0172-2190 Open Access Link
Atherton, MA., Mares, C. and Stolarski, TA. (2014) 'Some fundamental aspects of self-levitating sliding contact bearings and their practical implementations'. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 228 (9). pp. 916 - 927. ISSN: 1350-6501 Open Access Link