As part of the admissions process to join one of Brunel University London’s Professional courses, you are required to complete an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced certificate, previously known as a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB).
Applications are completed online and the first step is to complete a face to face ID check. You are then required to make a payment for your application, the cost of a DBS application is currently £51.86 (this fee is subject to change). Only then will you be given access to the online DBS application.
In order to complete the ID check you will need to visit the Admissions Office or attend an ID checking event. Further details regarding the DBS application and ID checking events will be sent to applicants in May.
If you are applying for Teacher Training, a course in Social Work, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy or Physicians Associate you will be asked to bring your DBS ID documents with you to your interview and we will complete your ID check then.
For further advice regarding the valid ID documents we can accept for the DBS disclosure application, please see the 'ID checking documents' tab below.
If you are making an application for the DBS certificate as a volunteer, Student Ambassador or a Widening Participation Ambassador you do not have to pay for your application. However if you are applying for a DBS certificate as part of your PhD or dissertation you will have to cover this cost, please contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions.
T: 01895 265265
The DBS update service lets applicants keep their DBS certificates up to date online and allows employers to check a certificate online.
You can read more about the update service here: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
To subscribe you will need your DBS application reference number. This number is generated when you submit the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require it.
If you currently hold a DBS Certificate and are registered with their update service, please get in touch with us. You will need to arrange a time to come in to present your certificate and sign a consent form so we can check your status online.
Please note this option is not intended for all students who currently hold a DBS certificate, only those who are registered with the DBS Update service.
Please click here to download our criminal convictions disclosure policy.
If you are applying to a professional course and do not complete the ID check at your interview, selection day or induction event, you will be required to attend a DBS ID checking session in the Admissions Office.
You will need to bring a minimum of three identity documents, plus photocopies of each document with you. A full list of acceptable ID documents can be found here: http://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/admissions/disclosure-and-barring-service
DBS ID check drop in
You can complete the ID check by visiting the Applicant Enquiries and Admissions Office, Bannerman Centre, room 213 (second floor), between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday.
You do not need to book an appointment but you may wish to confirm your attendance by sending an email to email@example.com. Please also include your full name and student number.
You are only required to pay for your DBS application if you are undertaking a course in Teaching, Physician Associate or Social work.
If you have applied for a Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy course the DBS fee will be covered by the University if you are NHS funded or are a Home or EU student for fee purposes. If you are an international student for fee purposes you will be required to pay for the DBS.
If you are unsure or have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office on 01895 265265 or by email at DBS@brunel.ac.uk
The DBS application currently costs £51.86 (if you are in the UK, and £62.86 if you are applying from outside the UK, this amount is subject to change. The payment is non refundable and the payment must be made before we can send you your DBS application log in information.
All payments must be made through the University cash office at least two working days prior to attending any ID checking session.
How to make the payment:
We recommend you make the payment online, by logging into the eVision student application portal. Once you have logged in you should go to the 'My application' section, scroll down to 'application details' and select the ‘View details’ button at the bottom of the page. If you have an eVision account that has been converted from an applicant to student profile, then the task can be found in the 'my Checklist' tab. Then select the 'DBS Check Payment' option and follow the instructions
Paying by cheque
Cheques can be paid in to the cash office in person or be sent in to the cash office by post. Cheques should be made payable to Brunel University London. Please be sure to enclose a cover letter with your name, course and student number (this is your 7 digit student ID number), not your UCAS/UTT ID along with the cheque.
Paying by cash
Cash payments can only be accepted in person at the cash office.
Paying by credit/debit card
Credit/Debit card payments can be accepted in person at the cash office. You can also pay by phone by calling the Cash Office on 01895 265264, between the hours of 9.15am to 1pm and 2.15pm to 4.15pm (Telephone payments only). You will need to quote your Brunel University student number. Please do not send any credit/debit card details in the post.
Once payment has been complete you will be given a receipt, if you have paid over the phone this receipt will be sent to you in the post and we will need to see it at the ID checking session. Please keep this receipt in a safe place as without confirmation of payment we will not be able to complete your DBS check fully and this may delay your registration.
The Cash Office is located on the ground floor of the Bannerman Centre, their opening hours for visitors are Monday to Friday from 9.15am to 1pm. The Cash Office does not open for visitors in the afternoon or at weekends, but you can make a payment over the phone.
Tel: 01895 265264
Postal address: Cash Office, Bannerman Centre, Brunel University London, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office on 01895 265265 or by email at DBS@brunel.ac.uk
As a part of your DBS application we need to confirm your identity. In order to do this you need to provide original identity documentation (photocopies are not accepted) to the Admissions Office:
- If you are a Social Work applicant, the ID check will normally take place at your induction session in June / July. The College will contact you nearer the time.
- For all other courses you will be required to bring this ID with you to a drop in session.
What documents do you need to provide?
You must provide 3 documents:
1 document from Group 1 and 2 further documents from Group 1, 2a or 2b, one of which must confirm your current address.
Document Group 1 Primary Trusted Identity Documents
- A current valid passport (any nationality)
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- A current UK (full or provisional) photo card driving licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands/other EU country, including Ireland)
- An original British Birth Certificate (UK) - issued within 12 months of the date of birth
- Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
Document Group 2A Trusted Government/State issued documents
- Birth certificate (UK) issued more than 12 months after birth
- Marriage / Civil partnership certificate (UK)
- A current paper version driving licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands and EU (full or provisional)
- A current photo card driving licence - All other countries (full or provisional), excluding UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands/and EU (counterpart does not need to be provided)
- Firearms licence (UK)
- HM Forces ID card (UK)
Document Group 2B Financial/Social History documents
The following documents must be less than 3 months old:
- Credit Card Statement (UK)
- Bank / Building Society Statement (UK) (Online bank statements are not acceptable)
- Utility Bill / Statement: electricity / gas / water / telephone (NOT mobile telephone) (we are unable to accept a Brunel University London tenancy agreement as a valid proof of UK address)
- Benefits Statement e.g. Child Allowance, pension
- A document from Central / Local Government / Government Agency / Local Authority giving entitlement (UK and Channel Islands) e.g. from the Department of Work & Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security. This includes National Insurance Number issue letter.
- Bank / Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)
The following documents must have been issued within the past 12 months:
- Mortgage Statement (UK)
- Financial Statement e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
- P45 / P60 statement (UK)
- Council Tax Statement (UK)
- Work Permit / VISA (UK), (UK Residence Permit)
The following documents must still be valid:
- EU National ID card
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)
If you are unable to provide sufficient documentation from the list, please contact the Admissions Office on 01895 265265 or email DBS@brunel.ac.uk