Dr Hongying Meng is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences, Brunel University London where he joined in as a lecturer in 2011. Before that, he held research positions in several UK universities including University College London (UCL), University of York, University of Lincoln, University of Dundee and University of Southampton. He received his Ph.D. degree in Communication and Electronic Systems from Xi’an Jiaotong University and was a lecturer in Electronic Engineering Department of Tsinghua University in China.
Dr Meng has a wide research interests including digital signal processing, machine learning, human computer interaction, computer vision, embedded systems and communications. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, a Member of Engineering Professors’ Council (UK), and a Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Senior Lecturer
- Level 2 coordinator of engineering courses at Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering
- College international strategy group
Membership of research centres at Brunel
- Institute of Environment, Health and Societies under the theme of Biomedical Engineering
- Human Centred Research
- Big Data Analytics
- Wireless Networks and Communications Centre (WNCC)
- Recipient of "Best Entry for the Affect Recognition Sub-Challenge", Third International Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge (AVEC2013) at international conference ACM Multimedia 2013, Barcelona, Spain, 2013.
- Recipient of audio sub-challenge prize (winner), First International Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge (AVEC2011) at international conference ACII2011, Memphis, USA, 2011.
- Recipient of the Tsinghua-Kodak prize, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1999.
Newest selected publications
Tang, C., Tian, G., Chen, X., Wu, J., Li, K. and Meng, H. (2017) 'Infrared and Visible Images Registration with Adaptable Local-Global Feature Integration for Rail Inspection'. Infrared Physics and Technology. ISSN: 1350-4495 Open Access Link
Jan, A., Meng, H., Gaus, Y. and Zhang, F. (2017) 'Artificial Intelligent System for Automatic Depression Level Analysis through Visual and Vocal Expressions'. IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems. ISSN: 2379-8920 Open Access Link
Aung, M., Kaltwang, S., Romera-Paredes, B., Martinez, B., Singh, A., Cella, M., (2016) 'The automatic detection of chronic pain-related expression: requirements, challenges and a multimodal dataset'. IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, 7 (4). pp. 435 - 451.Open Access Linket al.
Meng, H., Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Deng, Y., Cheng, J. and Cosmas, J. (2016) 'Time-Delay Neural Network for Continuous Emotional Dimension Prediction from Facial Expression Sequences'. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 66 (4). pp. 916 - 929.Open Access Link
Meng, H. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N. (2014) 'Affective state level recognition in naturalistic facial and vocal expressions'. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 44 (3). pp. 315 - 328. ISSN: 2168-2267 Open Access Link