Exit Menu

Complaints procedure

If you wish to make a comment about the Accommodation Centre please contact the Accommodation Centre team in writing by email or post to:

Brunel University London
Accommodation Centre

If you wish to make a complaint regarding the Accommodation Centre1 it will be processed in line with the University’s Student Complaints Procedure. A summary of the three stages can be seen below:

Stage 1: Early Resolution - Your complaint can be put in writing to the Accommodation Centre by email and will be responded to within 2 working days. Depending on the content of your complaint it may be escalated to the Head of Accommodation. In such circumstances you will receive a response within 4 working days. You will be advised by email if your complaint is escalated to the Head of Accommodation.

Stage 2: If your complaint remains unresolved at Stage 1 you must complete a Complaint Action Form within 3 months of the incident complained about. Formal investigation and consideration by the Students Complaints Officer will then take place.

Stage 3: If you're dissatisfied with the outcome of Stage 2 you may, under certain circumstances, request a review by the Chief Operating Officer. This must be within 14 days of the date of the letter of outcome to Stage 2.

You should refer to the full version of the Student complaints procedure before submitting your complaint.

You may also wish to contact the University Mediation Service if you feel it would be helpful to speak to an independent mediator about your complaint.

If you wish to make a complaint about the services in your hall of residence2:

The Residences Complaints Procedure is not intended to deal with initial maintenance requests. If you need to report a problem in your accommodation please use the online reporting facility. If your complaint is about bullying or harassment by another resident or a member of staff, please put this in writing by email. To enable an appropriate member of staff to investigate your concerns and ensure support is available for you.

Stage 1: If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the service within your accommodation on campus please contact a member of staff in your Residences Office to discuss your complaint and to attempt resolve it informally at the earliest opportunity. 

Stage 2: We normally aim to resolve all complaints at Stage 1. However, if you are dissatisfied with the outcome at Stage 1 you should email Residential Services. You should clearly state what the problem is and what solution you are seeking. We will normally acknowledge your complaint at the earliest opportunity during working hours. A member of the Residences team will then investigate your complaint and respond. The investigating member of staff may arrange to meet you to discuss and understand your complaint further. We normally aim to respond to complaints at Stage 2 within 30 calendar days.

Stage 3: If we have been unable to resolve your complaint, you should follow the University’s Student Complaints Procedure.

Concerns which are raised under the University’s Student Complaints Procedure should be raised within 3 months after the incident occurred may be deemed to be out of time and staff may not consider them.  
If your complaint is about something that does not fall within the scope of the Residences Complaints Procedure, you will be informed accordingly and your complaint may be referred to a different University procedure.

NOTE: At any stage of the complaints procedure and where appropriate, a complaint may be referred by the Head of Accommodation or the Head of Residences or their representative to one of the University’s impartial mediators.

1.The Accommodation Centre’s services include: Allocating accommodation to students seeking to live on campus; sending out information and offers of accommodation to students and preparing students’ Licence Agreements; ensuring that all residents are invoiced correctly for their accommodation fees via the Finance Office; organising booking fees and notifying students of payment dates.

2. Residences Services include: The day-to-day management of the residential areas; if you need help with any of the following please contact staff in the halls and Residences Office regarding: maintenance requests, general housekeeping issues, problems which are affecting your quality of life as a resident in University accommodation (e.g. noise disturbances).