Dr Fabrizio Ceschin
Senior Lecturer in Design
I am a Senior Lecturer in Design for Sustainability, coordinator of the Design for Sustainability research group and member of the Design for Sustainable Manufacturing research theme and the Human Centred Design research. I worked in the Design and Innovation for Sustainability research unit at Politecnico di Milano for six years before joining Brunel University London in 2012.
I carry out research in the area of:
- Design for Sustainability and Circular Economy, and in particular in developing principles, strategies and tools to innovate and design products, services, product-service systems and business models integrating environmental, socio-ethical and economic sustainability;
- Co-design, and in particular on how to support multi-stakeholder and participatory design processes.
Over the past years I have been involved in several international and national research projects, funded by the European Commission, EPSRC, Innovate UK, the British Council, SMEs and multinational enterprises. My research projects have resulted in more than 50 journal and conference publications and 4 books.
I have been teaching in the area of design for sustainability over the past 14 years. I am currently teaching modules on Environmentally sensitive design (BA and BSc) and Sustainable design (MSc), and I am director of the MSc Integrated Product Design.
I am member of the EPSRC Peer Review College, the Design Research Society and the British Industrial Design Association, and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I obtained a BSc and MSc equivalent degrees in Industrial Design awarded by Politecnico di Milano in Italy. In 2009 I started my doctoral research in design for sustainability at Politecnico di Milano, which was completed in 2012.
- Director, MSc Integrated Product Design
- Director, Design for Sustainability research group
- Module Leader, DM5533/DM5801 Sustainable Design (MSc Integrated Product Design, MSc Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and Design)
- Module Leader, MD5551 Dissertation Project (MSc Integrated Product Design)
- Teaching contributor, DM3316 Environmentally Sensitive Design (BA and BSc Design programmes)
- Member of the College International Strategy Group
Newest selected publications
Rossi, E., Di Nicolantonio, M., Ceschin, F., Mincolelli, G., dos Santos, A., Kohtala, C., (2020) 'Design Contributions for the COVID-19 Global Emergency (Part 1): Empirical Approaches and First Solutions'. Strategic Design Research Journal, 13 (3). pp. 294 - 311. ISSN: 1984-2988 Open Access Linket al.
Musango, JK., Smit, S., Ceschin, F., Ambole, A., Batinge, B., Petrulaityte, A. and (2020) 'Mainstreaming gender to achieve security of energy services in poor urban environments'. Energy Research and Social Science, 70 (December 2020). pp. 1 - 15. ISSN: 2214-6296 Open Access Linket al.
Long, Y., Ceschin, F., Mansour, N. and Harrison, D. (2020) 'Product-Service Systems applied to reusable packaging systems: a strategic design tool'.The 22nd dmi: Academic Design Management Conference. Virtual. 22 - 7 August. The 22nd dmi: Academic Design Management Conference Proceedings - Impact the Future by Design. pp. 539 - 553.Open Access Link
Petrulaityte, A., Ceschin, F., Harrison, D. and Pei, E. (2020) 'Applying Distributed Manufacturing to Product-Service System Development: A Set of Near-Future Scenarios and a Design Tool'. Sustainability, 12 (12). pp. 1 - 36.Open Access Link
Ceschin, F. and Gaziulusoy, İ. (2019) 'Design for Sustainability: A Multi-level Framework from Products to Socio-technical Systems'. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. ISSN 10: 0429851952 ISSN 13: 9780429851957 Open Access Link