Dr Fabrizio Ceschin
Reader in Design
Michael Sterling 156
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 267394
I am a Reader in Design for Sustainability, coordinator of the Design for Sustainability research group and member of the Design for Sustainable Manufacturing research theme. I worked in the Design and Innovation for Sustainability research unit at Politecnico di Milano for six years before joining Brunel University London in 2012.
I carry out research in the area of:
- Design for Sustainability and Circular Economy, and in particular in developing principles, strategies and tools to innovate and design products, services, product-service systems and business models integrating environmental, socio-ethical and economic sustainability;
- Co-design, and in particular on how to support multi-stakeholder and participatory design processes.
Over the past years I have been involved in several international and national research projects, funded by the European Commission, EPSRC, Innovate UK, the British Council, SMEs and multinational enterprises. My research projects have resulted in more than 50 journal and conference publications and 4 books.
I have been teaching in the area of design for sustainability over the past 15 years. I am currently teaching modules on Environmentally sensitive design (BA and BSc) and Sustainable design (MSc), and I am director of the MSc Integrated Product Design.
I am member of the EPSRC Peer Review College, the Design Research Society and the British Industrial Design Association, and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I obtained a BSc and MSc equivalent degrees in Industrial Design awarded by Politecnico di Milano in Italy. In 2009 I started my doctoral research in design for sustainability at Politecnico di Milano, which was completed in 2012.
- Coordinator, Design for Sustainability research group
- Director, MSc Integrated Product Design
- Director, Design for Sustainability research group
- Module Leader, DM5533/DM5801 Sustainable Design (MSc Integrated Product Design, MSc Sustainability, Entrepreneurship and Design)
- Module Leader, MD5551 Dissertation Project (MSc Integrated Product Design)
- Teaching contributor, DM3316 Environmentally Sensitive Design (BA and BSc Design programmes)
- Member of the College International Strategy Group
Newest selected publications
Franconi, A., Ceschin, F. and Peck, D. (2022) 'Structuring Circular Objectives and Design Strategies for the Circular Economy: A Multi-Hierarchical Theoretical Framework'. Sustainability, 14 (15). pp. 1 - 26.Open Access Link
Batinge, B., Musango, JK., Ceschin, F., Ambole, A., Smit, S., Mukama, M. and (2022) 'From Energy Security To Security Of Energy Services: The Role Of Gendered Innovations In Living Labs'. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 33 (2). pp. 49 - 61. ISSN: 1012-277X Open Access Linket al.
Petrulaityte, A., Ceschin, F., Musango, JK., Mwiti, BK., Anditi, C. and Njoroge, P. (2022) 'Supporting the Development of Gendered Energy Innovations for Informal Urban Settlements: GENS Codesign Toolkit for Multistakeholder Collaboration'. Sustainability, 14 (10). pp. 6291 - 6291.Open Access Link
Long, Y., Ceschin, F., Harrison, D. and Terzioğlu, N. (2022) 'Exploring and Addressing the User Acceptance Issues Embedded in the Adoption of Reusable Packaging Systems'. Sustainability, 14 (10). pp. 1 - 32.Open Access Link
Anditi, C., Musango, JK., Smit, S. and Ceschin, F. (2022) 'Addressing gender dimensions in energy innovations: A gender analysis framework for informal urban settlements in Africa'. Energy Research & Social Science, 88. pp. 1 - 9. ISSN: 2214-6296 Open Access Link