Skip to main content

Apostille Certificate

We are unable to advise on individual countries procedure and requirements for accepting and legalising documents. It is advisable for you contact the countries authorities directly to understand their requirements.

In the UK, when a foreign organisation has requested that you have UK-sourced papers legalised as proof of authenticity, an Apostille Certificate (also known as the Hague Apostille) can be issued. In the UK the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Legalisation Office will apply an Apostille Certificate only to UK-sourced papers and, once done, they will be usable overseas.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Legalisation Office will apply Apostille Certificates to documents only if they have an identifiable and verifiable UK stamp or signature which they can trace and confirm. Otherwise, the document will have to be certified as a true copy and signed by a UK Solicitor or Notary Public before presentation to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The Apostille Certificate is a paper attachment which is fixed permanently to your supplied document. It will then be accepted as authentic in any of the Hague Convention countries. As it is glued and embossed with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Apostille Seal you may wish to apostille a certified copy so that the original remains unchanged.

The University does not provide an Apostille service. However, further information can be found on the "Get your document legalised" page.