Brunel Language Centre provides free English Language support to all current Brunel University students who have English as a second language. Please see below for the different ways in which we can help you with your studies.
In Term 2 all consultations are online
International students who do not have English as a first language can receive help with assignments (including presentations), academic papers and job applications through One-to-One consultations. These are friendly and supportive 30-minute consultations that are held throughout the year, including the summer vacation.
You can receive advice on:
- language issues that cause difficulty for the reader;
- academic style;
- using academic sources appropriately (including referencing).
- being critical;
- clear speech (including pronunciation).
Work should be uploaded 24 hours in advance so the consultant has enough time to prepare. For each half-hour appointment, a consultant spends up to 30 minutes on preparation. This means that typically 1000 words can be discussed in a session. If you upload a document of more than 1000 words, please state which area in particular you want advice on.
This is not a proof-reading service. We are not able to correct all your language errors, which is against University policy.
Consultations will be available during the following periods:
4 January to 26 March 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
12 April to 3 September 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
You can have a maximum of six hours of consultations in each time period subject to availability.
How to make the most of a consultation
- Book the consultation at least 1 working day before. This is so that the consultant has time to prepare.
- When making your booking, upload a copy of your writing or presentation slides and any assignment instructions.
- Do not wait until the day before a deadline. This is too late to make many changes, especially if there are issues with structure and content. In addition, often more than one appointment is needed for an assignment. The first might be for structure, and later ones are more for language issues.
- Other ways of maximising the value of your consultation include bringing plans or outlines of what you intend to write. Feedback provided by an academic is also very useful.
Can I cancel a booking?
To cancel a consultation please use the online booking system.
If you cancel at least 24 hours before an appointment then that time will not count as part of your 12-hour allowance for the term.
If you fail to attend 3 appointments without cancelling them beforehand, you will not be able to use the service for the rest of the academic year.