Skip to main content

Erasmus+ for Brunel students

What is Erasmus+

Erasmus is part of the Erasmus+ Programme 2014 until 31st May 2023 and operates via a number of inter- institutional agreements between higher education institutions, through which the partners agree on exchanges of staff and students. Brunel University London currently has agreements with over 30 partner institutions in countries across the European Union (EU).

The ERASMUS+ programme is available to current Brunel students who would like to study at one of our ERASMUS+ partner universities in Europe, or undertake a traineeship as an approved and recognised part of their degree.

From your second year (level 2) onwards, you can spend between 3 to 12 months studying at one of our partner institutions. Most students at Brunel go on exchange in their second year, if on a 3 year long course, or their third year, if on a 4 year long course.


All Erasmus+ mobility must be recognised as part of your Brunel University London degree programme. The most common method of recognition in the framework of the Erasmus+ programme is the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). UK credits are ordinarily converted into ECTS on the basis of 2 UK credits = 1 ECTS. 

How to apply:

If you are interested in taking part in the Erasmus+ programme, you first need to find out if we have an agreement in your subject area. You can then contact your Academic Exchange Coordinator or the student mobility team to discuss how going on an exchange would fit into your degree programme and determine your eligibility.

If your Department has an exchange agreement with an overseas institution, then they will normally hold the first round of information session in October/November and the second round of sessions will be held in January.

To express your interest for a mobility programme that begins in September, you will need to reach out to your Academic Exchange Coordinator by February (latest). Ideally you should be nominated by mid-March, so that you do not miss out on the partner institution’s application deadline. The deadline can be as early as the end of March/or beginning of April.

Once your Academic Exchange Coordinator nominates you, the student mobility team will contact you and provide further guidance.

It is your responsibility to contact the host university to complete and submit their application form (normally available on their website) and accommodation application. 

Please note: You are not officially accepted until notified by the host university

Please read the information on student mobility to learn more about taking part in the Erasmus+ programme and visit the British Council's Erasmus+ webpage for further information.

Below is a list of documents that you will need to complete before, during and after your Erasmus+ exchange:


  • Erasmus+ Grant Application for Studies/ Traineeship
  • Learning Agreement for Studies/ Traineeship
  • Risk Awareness Checklist
  • Travel Insurance Form 


  • Confirmation of Arrival
  • Traineeship - Confirmation of Start- (only applicable to students on a work placement)


  • Traineeship - Confirmation of Mobility (only applicable to students on a work placement)
  • Traineeship Certificate – (only applicable to students on a work placement)
  • Student Report/Survey (will be emailed at the end of mobility)

Fees and finance:

Tuition fees

During your study or traineeship period abroad, you will continue to pay tuition fees to Brunel University London. The Exchange agreements between Brunel University London and its partner universities mean that students are not required to pay tuition fees to the host university.

The tuition fees for Home/EU undergraduate students undertaking exchange (either part or full year abroad) will be in line with the sandwich placement fee.

Erasmus+ Grant:

The University receives funding from the National Agency for Erasmus+. The amount awarded to Brunel is based on the number of Erasmus students sent out the previous year.

All students participating in the Erasmus+ programme are entitled to apply for an Erasmus grant. The Erasmus grant is intended as a contribution to the overall cost of the mobility, to cover the cost of living associated with living abroad. The Grant is not intended to cover the full costs of your mobility period and it is therefore essential that you have another source of income to cover your costs.

In order to be eligible for funding, you will need to complete a Grant Agreement before the start of your mobility. The Grant Agreement clearly states certain conditions and obligations that are attached to the Grant, it is therefore recommended that you carefully read the contract thoroughly before signing it.

Deadline to apply:

If you would like to apply for funding, you will need to complete the Grant Agreement at least 1 month before your mobility start date. Please reach out to the Student Mobility Team for the agreement. 

Applications received after this date may not be considered, therefore, it is recommended that you apply for funding as soon as your mobility period has been confirmed and approved.

The grant is paid at different rates for Study and Traineeship Mobilities and these are as follows:

Student Mobility Grants for Study:

  • €370-€420

Student Mobility Grants for Traineeships:

  • €470-€520

For students identified as eligible for the various widening participation premiums already operating at HE level across the UK, there is additional financial support for those undertaking a study abroad period. Also, students with a severe disability or exceptional special needs may be entitled to extra funding to cover associated costs, but you must apply for this before departure.

Travel grant:

If you are studying abroad you can apply for an income assessed travel grant from Student Finance England for reasonable travel costs incurred while attending an overseas institution as part of the course (this means buying the most cost effective tickets for the most economical form of transport). Please visit the Student Finance England website for details.

Language requirements:

Although most of our exchanage partners offer programmes that teach in English, teaching may also be ddelivered in the native language at our partner universities. We advise students to research this information before applying to the host destination. 

In most cases, you will be expected to follow lectures, write essays and take exams in the language of instruction. 

If you are thinking about going on an exchange where your subject is not taught in English, you should have at least one of the following:

  • A Higher or AS certificate in that language
  • Other qualification demonstrating a minimum of level C1 according to the Common European Framework
  • Experience of formal study in that language

In the absence of at least one of the above, participants will be advised to take a relevant language course at Brunel University London through Brunel Language Centre. 

If you plan to study at one of our Erasmus+ partner institutions, they may provide an intensive language course immediately before the start of your exchange period. We strongly advise you to take these courses as in most cases, they are offered for free.


1) Assessment of competence in the language of study or work before and after student mobility is mandatory for all participants; except for students whose native language is the language of study or work.

2) The results of the language assessment test carried out by participants before their departure will not stop them from taking part in the mobility activity, unless the partner university has specified the language level required in the inter-institutional agreement.