Skip to main content

EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK for the first time after 1 January 2021 to study, you will need to make a Student visa application to study at Brunel. 

Please visit the appropriate sections of our website for further details about how to apply for a  Student visa, and other important visa and immigration related information.

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members who were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 could apply to settle in the UK under the government’s EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline for this was 30 June 2021, although in certain circumstances it may be possible to make a late application. 

You may have already applied for and obtained EU Settled Status, in which case no further action is necessary. However, if you are resident in the UK and have not yet applied under the EU Settlement Scheme, we would advise you to consider applying as soon as possible, otherwise you may need to make a Student visa application. 

 If you have not obtained EU Settled Status and are outside of the UK, you please need to be aware that you would require a visa to enter the UK. You will have to apply for a Student visa to study at Brunel as explained below. If you need a Student visa to enter the UK for your course, then we will sponsor this and provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

If you are applying for a Student visa to enter the UK, please ensure that you do not travel to the UK before you have been granted your Student visa (which will be in a digital format). If you enter the UK as a visitor beforehand (just using your passport), your Student visa would not be valid and you would have to leave the UK and return to 'validate' it.