Kith & Kids - Mentor on Autism Employability Project
Details of the Charity:Share this
Kith & Kids is a charity empowering family who have a son or daughter with a learning disability or autism (many also have a physical or sensory disability) to overcome their social exclusion. The organisation provides a variety of volunteer-supported projects and services, offering opportunities to the person with disability to learn new skills and design individual projects that provide them with the much-needed social interaction.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
In this role, you will be supporting individuals with autism to access further education, work experience, and visits to mainstream community opportunities. As a Volunteer Mentor on Autism Employability Project, you will learn a set of skills such as effective communication, empathy and understanding, active listening, adaptability, and problem solving.
Typical duties include:
- Acting as a mentor to members of the group, conducting an initial assessment to understand the individual's strengths, interests, skills, and goals related to employment
- Collaborating with members to set short-term and long-term employment-related goals that align with their interests and abilities
- Assisting the individual to develop a range of life skills such as Maths/English proficiency, independent living, public transport, social skills, sourcing employment, and so on.
- Helping the individual create or update their CV and cover letter, highlighting their relevant skills and experience
Please note, the Brunel Volunteers team would like you to commit to a minimum of 2-3 months.
- Volunteering Hours to go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award
- Volunteering achievement recognised on your HEAR Transcript