- PhD Napier University
- Research-engineer degree Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radio-electronics, Minsk, Belarus
- MSc (distinction) Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radio-electronics, Minsk, Belarus
- 2000-present Lecturer Brunel University London
- 2003-2011 Business Fellow London Technology Network, LTN Link between research activities at Brunel University London and industry
- 1997-2000 PhD student Napier University
- 1994-1997 Research Assistant Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radio-electronics
NATIONAL-LEVEL EXTERNAL ACTIVITIES
- Referee of funding proposals Brunel Research Initiative and Enterprise Fund (BRIEF).
- Program committee member, session chair, reviewer for national conferences on the 22nd British National Conf. on Databases, 2005, BNCOD’2005, UK; Annual Brunel University London Research Student Conference, 2007-2014.
- Organiser or member of local organising committees: weekly research seminars at School of Engineering and Design, Electronic and Computer Engineering starting from Autumn 2004 till June 2006; evening networking industry-academia event on “Communications and Network” at School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University London, 2005; weekly research seminars at Electronic and Computer Engineering Department. Spring 2002- Spring 2004; annual School’s research student conference, ResCon’2014.
INTERNATIONAL-LEVEL EXTERNAL ACTIVITIES
- Member of Editorial Review Board or Advisory Board: Member of Editorial Review Board for Scientific Journals International (SJI) (since 2007), Member of Editorial Board for Information Engineering Journal (Science and Engineering Publishing Company), Journal of Computer Science and IT, Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (published by Springer, B* rated journal).
- Referee of funding proposals Grant Agency of the Czech Republic (GACR); The Research Council of Norway, Division of Science and Technology; Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF); Greek Deputy Minister for Education, Life Long Learning and Religious Affairs, Research Program \'Archimedes III\'.
- Program committee member, session chair, reviewer for over 20 national and international conferences on the 10th IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Engineering Systems, INES (2006), the European Conf. on Genetic Programming, EuroGP (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014); the VIII-th European Conf. on Artificial Life (ECAL 2005), 2005, Canterbury, England; the Int. Workshop on the Frontiers of Evolutionary Algorithms, FEA (2002, 2003, 2005); the Natural Computing track of JCIS 2007, the World Multi-Conference on Systematics, Cybernetics and Informatics, SCI (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010); the Int. Conf. on Evolvable Systems: From Biology to Hardware, ICES (2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013); the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conf., GECCO (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002), GP track, GECCO (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011); ALIFE track, GECCO (2011); Artificial Life/Robotics/Evolvable Hardware track, GECCO (2011); The Int. Workshop on Distributed Cooperative Laboratories, INGRID (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011); NASA/ESA Conf. on Adaptive Hardware and Systems (2007); The International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions, ACHI (2008, 2009, 2010); IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014); International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, ICEC (2009, 2010); International Symposium on Academic Globalization, AG (2009, 2010, 2011); IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, IEEE SSCI (2013, 2014); IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Special Session on Hardware Aspects of Bio-Inspired Architectures and Systems (HABIAS) (2014); Evolvable hardware special session at CEC-2012; IEEE Int. Conf. on Evolvable Systems: From Biology to Hardware, IEEE ICES (2014).
- Journal reviewer/referee: IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-Part II (TCAS-II), International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools (IJAIT), Journal on Optical Engineering, IET Proceedings on Computers and Digital Techniques, International Journal on Control and Intelligent Systems, Special issue for the Journal of Applied Systems Studies (JASS) on Real Life Applications of Nature Inspired Combinatorial Heuristics, Journal on Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Journal on Engineering Optimization, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Computers and Mathematics with Applications (CAMWA), IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- Organiser or member of local organising committees: special session on “AI in Manufacturing” in cooperation with Caterpillar plc at the 5th Int. Conf. on Recent Advances in Soft Computing, Nottingham, RASC’04, United Kingdom, 2004; the 3rd European Conf. on Genetic Programming, EuroGP2000, Edinburgh, UK, 2000; the 3rd Int. Conf. on Evolvable Systems: From Biology to Hardware, ICES\'2000, Edinburgh, UK, 2000; the 4th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition and Information Processing. PRIP\'97, Minsk, Belarus, 1997; the 2nd Int. Conf. on New Information Technologies in Education, NITE\'96, Minsk, Republic of Belarus, 1996.
- Awards: 2nd place in “Research and Innovation in Demand Strategy Competition” organised by Caterpillar in 2012.
- Reviewer of books: “Information Processing with Evolutionary Algorithms: From Industrial Applications to Academic Speculations” by Manuel Grana, Richard Duro, Alicia d\'Anjou and Paul P. Wang, Springer-Verlag publisher, 2003; “Essential Software Design for Scientists and Engineers”, Elsevier Science publisher, 2002; “Evolvable Designs of Experiments: Applications for Circuits”, Octavian Iordache, 2009.
- Examiner appointments: Internal examiner of EngD degree, Brunel University London (Candidate: Ms Anna Wallen) 2006, External examiner for PhD degree at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway (Candidates: Mr Petrovic, 2007; Rikke Amilde Løvlid, 2013), The University of Edinburgh (Candidate: Virgilio Zuniga, 2011), London Metropolitan University (Candidates: John Mpapalika, 2011; Nickolaos Paltalidis, 2013; Nada Bajnaid, 2013), External evaluator for promotions in Sussex University (2013), Metropolitan University (2013).
Newest selected publications
Kalganova, T. and Sternharz, G. (2021) 'Current Methods for Operational Modal Analysis of Rotating Machinery and Prospects of Machine Learning'.the 38th IMAC, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics 2020. Springer International Publishing. ISSN: 2191-5644 Open Access Link
Byerly, A., Kalganova, T. and Grichnik, AJ. (2021) 'On the Importance of Capturing a Sufficient Diversity of Perspective forthe Classification of micro-PCBs'. arXiv, abs/2101.11164. pp. 1 - 12.Open Access Link
Dzalbs, I. and Kalganova, T. (2020) 'Simple generate-evaluate strategy for tight-budget parameter tuning problems'.2020 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI). IEEE. pp. 783 - 790.
Sternharz, G. and Kalganova, T. (2020) 'Current methods for operational modal analysis of rotating machinery and prospects of machine learning'.38th IMAC, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics 2020. Houston, Texas. 24 - 13 February. Springer International Publishing. pp. 155 - 163. ISSN: 2191-5644 Open Access Link
Kalganova, T. and Dzalbs, I. (2020) 'Accelerating supply chains with Ant Colony Optimization across range of hardware solutions'. TBA, 147. pp. 106610 - 106610. ISSN: 0360-8352 Open Access Link