The Heat Pipe Thermal Management Research Group and UKAEA successfully investigated the use of Heat Pipe Technology to be used in Fusion energy application for thermal management of environments with extreme temperatures, overcoming the limit of current heat transfer devices. The investigation led to the development of a customized Heat pipe system that addressed the thermal requirements of the environment and has successfully proved the potential of the Heat Pipe technology to extract large amount of heat flux and the flexibility of the technology.
Meet the Principal Investigator(s) for the project
Professor Hussam Jouhara
- Having worked in academia and the industry, Hussam has unique expertise in working on applied heat exchangers and energy-related research activities with direct support from research councils and various UK and international industrial partners. He has extensive expertise in designing and manufacturing various types of heat exchangers, including heat pipes and heat pipe-based heat exchangers for low, medium and high temperature applications. His work in the field of heat pipe based heat exchangers resulted in novel designs for recouperators, steam generators & condensers and flat heat pipes. These have been implemented across various industries including, but not limited to: food, electronics thermal management and low to high industrial waste heat recovery and Energy from Waste. Over the last few years, he has successfully managed to achieve new designs for industrial waste heat recovery and many thermal systems that have enhanced the performance of various industrials processes in the UK, Europe and world-wide. He is also an elected member of the Senate of Brunel University London.
Throughout his academic and industrial career, he received over £12.2M research funding from various UK/EU based research councils (RCUK & EU H2020) and from British and European industrial partners. He is a published author of academic books with many filed patents in areas related to heat pipes engineering and manufacturing and Energy from Waste systems. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of both Engineers Ireland (Ireland) and IMechE (UK).
Hussam is the founder and the Head of the Heat Pipe and Thermal Management Research Group
in Brunel University London.
Major projects as a Principal Investigator in Brunel
Ph. D. (Mechanical Engineering)
, 2004, University of Manchester, UK
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS -
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (UK): Chartered Member and Fellow (CEng, FIMechE)
- CIBSE (UK): Fellow (CEng FCIBSE)
- Engineers Ireland: Chartered Engineer and Fellow (CEng, IntPE, FIEI)
- Institute of Refrigeration (UK): Member (M.Inst.R)
TEACHING CREDENTIALS -
- P. G. Cert. in Higher Education, 2010, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA), 2017, UK