Talking about some of the practicalities of uni life and living away from home can help them (and you) get ready for the exciting changes ahead.
Here are a few pointers from parents of current Brunel students:
- Coping on their own
- Learning to study independently
- Laundry and cooking
- Cleaning and washing up
- Making friends
- Getting to know campus i.e. medical centre, student centre, key services.
- Your house is likely to be quieter … and also possibly cleaner and tidier
- You will miss them but you’ll realise how proud you are of them
- You will need to work out with them how and when to keep contact
- Trust your son or daughter to have a successful life outside the home
- They will need space to try new activities and friendships (and maybe new relationships too!).