Skip to main content

Other financial support

Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL)

Also known as Career Development Loans (CDL), this scheme is now closed for new applicants.  You will not be affected if you have an existing loan.  

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that have to be paid back.  You start repaying the loan (plus interest at a reduced rate) one month after leaving your course.  The government pays the interest while you study and for one month after you leave your course.  After this time, you start repaying the loan and interest.  You have to repay your loan even if you do not complete the course.

For further information, please visit the GOV.UK webpage Professional Career Development Loans (PCDL): learning providers and learners with existing loans.

The University Hardship Fund

The University Hardship Fund provides financial assistance to all students studying in England who face difficulty in meeting their living costs or course costs (although not tuition fees). This can be due to ongoing personal circumstances, or because you fall into hardship unexpectedly and through no fault of your own. You can only apply once you have enrolled as a student, since the University assesses how much should be awarded. You must be able to show that you have adequate financial provision prior to commencing your studies. 

For further information regarding this fund please call the Student Centre on 01895 2682368 or via email

Support for students with disabilities

The Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) pays for any extra costs UK disabled students may have in attending their course as a direct result of their disability.

This non-means-tested allowance can help pay for resources such as specialist equipment and support workers, but does not contribute towards living costs.

Students referred by the Disability and Dyslexia Service for a diagnostic assessment of a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, may be eligible for funding from the Hardship Fund (UHF) to cover the cost of the assessment.

For more information or for help in applying to either of these schemes, contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service.