Professor Asoke Nandi
Professor of Electronic & Computer Engineering (CEDPS)
Howell Building 211
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266119
In April 2013, Professor Nandi moved to Brunel University London to be the Head of Electronic and Computer Engineering from the University of Liverpool where he held the David Jardine Chair of Signal Processing in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics. At Liverpool he was the Head of the Signal Processing and Communications Research Group which he established in 1999. Professor Nandi received his PhD from the University of Cambridge. Subsequently, he held positions in Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, CERN, Queen Mary University of London, the University of Oxford, Imperial College London, University of Strathclyde, and the University of Liverpool.
Professor Nandi has published over 220 papers in refereed international journals (total: 550 technical papers) with an h-index of 67 (all citation figures are from Google Scholar) and ERDOS number of 2. He co-discovered the three particles known as W+, W-, and Z0 - three of the four quanta of the electroweak force. This discovery verified the unification of the electromagnetic force and the nuclear weak force. In its recognition the 1984 Nobel Prize for Physics was awarded to two of his colleagues for their decisive role in this project. He has made pioneering theoretical and applied contributions to statistical signal processing, wireless communications, machine learning, and biomedical signal processing, with growing applications in genomic signal processing, brain signal processing, and Big Data.
- Fellow, Royal Academy of Engineering, U.K. (2014).
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, U.S.A. (2011).
- Fellow, British Computer Society, U.K. (2007).
- Fellow, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, U.K. (2007)
- Fellow, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, U.K. (2002).
- Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology [formerly The Institution of Electrical Engineers, U.K. (1996)].
- Fellow, Institute of Physics, London, U.K. (1992).
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, U.K. (1989).
- Fellow, Cambridge Philosophical Society, Cambridge, U.K. (1979).
- Chartered Scientist (2004); Chartered IT Professional (2004); Chartered Engineer (1990); Chartered Mathematician (1990); Chartered Physicist (1985).
- 2018 - IEEE Distinguished Lecturer (EMBS, 2018-2019)
- 2017 - Visiting Professor at the Universite d’Orleans, France.
- 2015 - Visiting Professor at Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China.
- 2015 - Adjunct Professor at the University of Calgary, Canada (2015-2018).
- 2015 - Distinguished Visiting Professor at Tongji University, Shanghai, China (2015-2017).
- 2014 - Academician of the Royal Academy of Engineering, U.K.
- 2012 - IEEE Communications Society Heinrich Hertz Award for Best Communications Letter.
- 2012 - Adjunct Professor at the University of Calgary, Canada (2012-2015).
- 2012 - Visiting Professor at the Universite d’Orleans, France.
- 2011 - Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, U.S.A.
- 2010 - Finland Distinguished Professor Award (2010-2014).
- 2010 - Glory of Bengal Award for “outstanding achievement in scientific research”.
- 2009 - Adjunct Professor at the University of Calgary, Canada (2009-2012).
- 2009 - Visiting Professor at the Universite d’Orleans, France.
- 2007 - Visiting Professor at the Universite d’Orleans, France.
- 2006 - Distinguished International Research Fellow at the Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary, Canada.
- 2006 - Visiting Professor at the Universite d’Orleans, France.
- 2000 - Freedom of the City of London.
- 2000 - Award from the Society for Machinery Failure Prevention Technology, a Division of theVibration Institute, U.S.A.
- 1999 - The Water Arbitration Prize, Mechanical Sciences and Technologies Division Award, ofthe Institution of Mechanical Engineers, U.K.
- 1998 - The Mountbatten Premium, Division Award of the Electronics & Communications Division, of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, U.K.
- 1996 - Best Paper Award in a technical session of the 14th World Conference on Non-Destructive Testing, New Delhi, India.
- 1984 - A five-year Advanced Fellowship awarded by the Science and Engineering Research Council, U.K.
- 1983 - Co-discoverer of the three particles known as W+, W-, and Z0 - three of the four quanta of the electroweak force. This discovery verified the unification of the electromagnetic force and the nuclear weak force. In recognition of this the 1984 Nobel Prize for Physics was awarded to two of his colleagues (Professors C Rubbia and S van der Meer) for their decisive roles in this project.
- 1975 - The Trinity College, Cambridge, awarded him a full scholarship for the period of his research studentship in Cambridge.
Newest selected publications
Ahmed, HOA., Wong, MLD. and Nandi, AK. (2018) 'Intelligent condition monitoring method for bearing faults from highly compressed measurements using sparse over-complete features'. MECHANICAL SYSTEMS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING, 99. pp. 459 - 477. ISSN: 0888-3270
Seera, M., Wong, MLD. and Nandi, AK. (2017) 'Classification of ball bearing faults using a hybrid intelligent model'. APPLIED SOFT COMPUTING, 57. pp. 427 - 435. ISSN: 1568-4946 Open Access Link
Abu-Jamous, B., Buffa, FM., Harris, AL. and Nandi, AK. (2017) 'In vitro downregulated hypoxia transcriptome is associated with poor prognosis in breast cancer.'. Mol Cancer, 16 (1). pp. 105. ISSN: 1476-4598 Open Access Link
Liu, C., Abu-Jamous, B., Brattico, E. and Nandi, AK. (2017) 'Towards Tunable Consensus Clustering for Studying Functional Brain Connectivity During Affective Processing.'. Int J Neural Syst, 27 (2). pp. 1650042. ISSN: 0129-0657 Open Access Link
Merryweather-Clarke, AT., Tipping, AJ., Lamikanra, AA., Fa, R., Abu-Jamous, B., Tsang, HP., (2016) 'Distinct gene expression program dynamics during erythropoiesis from human induced pluripotent stem cells compared with adult and cord blood progenitors.'. BMC Genomics, 17 (1). pp. 817. ISSN: 1471-2164 Open Access Linket al.