Dr Michael Rustell
Lecturer in Structural Engineering
Howell Building 239
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 268437
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Michael is a chartered civil engineer (CEng MICE) who holds an Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in artificial intelligence in design automation of civil infrastructure. He has spent the past 8 years in industry working in ports and marine, oil & gas and nuclear industries and was a lead data scientist for the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region at AECOM prior to joining Brunel.
Michaels interests include: deep learning, machine learning and data science in civil engineering, natural language processing, design automation and stochastic design methods.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
- Doctor of Engineering (EngD) in Sustainability for Engineering and Energy Systems, University of Surrey, Guildford,
- UK. Sponsored by HR Wallingford. Thesis: ”Knowledge Extraction and the Development of a Decision
- Support System for the Conceptual Design of Liquefied Natural Gas Terminals Under Risk and Uncertainty”
- Post Graduate Certificate in Oil and Gas Structural Engineering, University of Aberdeen, UK
- Master of Science in Sustainable Development University of Surrey, UK (Completed as part of EngD)
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering University of Plymouth, UK
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering University of Plymouth, UK
- Engineering Institution Coordinator
Newest selected publications
Tan, B., Cosmas, J., Banitsas, K., Rustell, M., Säe, J., Valkama, M., (2021) 'Using 5G to bring more than just bits to homes'.2020 IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting (BMSB). Paris, France (virtual). 19 - 29 October. IEEE. pp. 1 - 8. ISSN: 2155-5044 Open Access Linket al.
Rafiq, MY. and Rustell, M. (2014) 'Building information modeling steered by evolutionary computing'. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 28 (4). ISSN: 0887-3801