Dr Rafiq Swash joined the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, College Of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences, Brunel University London, UK in 2013. Before that, he held research positions in the area of multimedia search & retrieval systems, expert systems and 3D imaging & display systems at Brunel University London. He received his Ph.D. degree in Holoscopic 3D Imaging Systems: Camera / Processing / Display from Brunel University London, UK. He is a member of IEEE, IET, IEEE Broadcast Technology Society, The Optical Society America (OSA), and The Society for Information Display (SID).
In the past, Dr Swash has worked as a senior software engineer, senior technical architect, technical director and chief technology officer in international gaming, financial and robotics industries.
Dr Swash has a wide research interests includes 3D imaging and display systems (3D cameras / 3D display / 3D processing), 3D virtual reality / augment reality, 3D computer vision, medical image processing & visualisation, multimedia search & retrieval, human-computer interaction design, interactive game design including serious games and gamification
- Prestigious Vice-Chancellor\'s Doctoral Research Prize, Brunel University London: Prestigious Vice-Chancellor\'s Doctoral Research Prize for outstanding research contributions and achievements in the field, 2014
- IEEE Broadcast Technology Society 2013 Best Paper Award: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2013
- First BEST poster presentation prize, Brunel Research Students Conference, ReSCon09, 2009
- Chancellor prize and the Medal for excellence achievement, Brunel University London, 2008
- Graham Hawkes prize for the best final year project, Brunel University London, 2008
- Best UG Project Award in Electronic and Computer Engineering, Brunel University London, 2009
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Member of Society for Information Display (SID)
- Member of Optical Society America (OSA)
Member of IEEE Broadcast Technology Society
Newest selected publications
Chougan, M., Hamidreza Ghaffar, S., Jahanzat, M., Albar, A., Mujaddedi, N. and Swash, R. (2020) 'The influence of nano-additives in strengthening mechanical performance of 3D printed multi-binder geopolymer composites'. Construction and Building Materials, 250. pp. 118928 - 118928. ISSN: 0950-0618 Open Access Link
Albar, A., Chougan, M., Al- Kheetan, MJ., Swash, MR. and Ghaffar, SH. (2020) 'Effective extrusion-based 3D printing system design for cementitious-based materials'. Results in Engineering, 6. pp. 100135 - 100135. ISSN: 2590-1230 Open Access Link
Cao, C., Swash, MR. and Meng, H. (2020) 'Reliable Holoscopic 3D Face Recognition'.2020 7th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN). Noida, India. 20 - 28 February. IEEE. pp. 696 - 701. ISSN: 2688-7681 Open Access Link
Alnaim, N., Abbod, M. and Swash, R. (2020) 'Recognition of Holoscopic 3D Video Hand Gesture Using Convolutional Neural Networks'. Technologies, 8 (2). pp. 19 - 19.Open Access Link
Qin, R., Liu, Y., Swash, M., Li, M., Meng, H., Lei, T. and (2019) 'A Fast Automatic Holoscopic 3D Micro-gesture Recognition System for Immersive Applications'.Advances in Natural Computation, Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery. ICNC-FSKD 2019. Yunnan, China. 7 - 22 July. Springer International Publishing. pp. 696 - 703. ISSN: 1860-0794 Open Access Linket al.