The centre promotes research and development of:
- Innovative data technologies in all aspects of the data value chain such as acquisition/creation through to user's consumption as well as the data processing infrastructure e.g. reconfigurable/parallel computing, cloud computing etc. and techniques for providing intelligence using Artificial Intelligence (AI) on Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) to analyse large and complex datasets which can mobilize its use in systems and society
- Innovative mobile and fixed network technologies in not only the mature media communications industries but also in the emerging Internet of Things (IoT) industries that promotes the development of intelligent and autonomous systems for Aerospace, Automotive, Biomedical, Civil, Design, Healthcare, Mechanical, Manufacturing and Computer Communication Network Engineering Vertical Industries.
- Innovative enhancements and uses of Augmented, Virtual and Enhanced reality systems so that not only can they be used for obtaining larger and more appealing Digital Games and more realistic Digital 3D Arts creations but also, they can be applied in the Aerospace, Automotive, Biomedical, Civil, Design, Healthcare, Mechanical, Manufacturing and Computer Communication Network Engineering Vertical Industries in areas such as remote working, supervision and training.
- Innovative enhancements and uses of the Tactile Internet, which used an enhanced Internet network, featuring low latency, an extremely short transit, a high availability, high reliability and a high level of security. This technology rests on cloud computing proximity (Mobile Edge-Cloud) and the virtual or augmented reality for sensory and haptic controls. It is believed to add a new dimension to human-machine interaction by delivering a low latency enough to build real-time interactive systems. This new technology requires a very low latency at the range of less than a millisecond. In addition, security is an important issue in such applications.
- Innovative computational technologies into the enhancement of Trust, Identity, Privacy, Security (i.e. TIPS) measures for enhancing social informatics of the interaction between people and technology, organisational informatics of the interaction between organisations (whether private, public or voluntary) and technology to analyse and make sense of the interactions in the digital world and to dynamically adapt to changes in that world.
- Innovative Secure Digital Economy technologies provides effective cybersecurity which is cornerstone of a strong and safe Digital Economy. The focus of our research is Cybersecurity Analytics for the protection of digital assets and services, and citizens’ personal data. Our research expertise covers the following areas:
- Predictive cybersecurity analytics and collaborative cybersecurity for enhancing cyber situational awareness;
- Applications of machine learning techniques to cybersecurity;
- Time series causal analysis of interacting multichannel attack vectors;
- Natural language processing for detecting malicious cyber activities in social media messaging and discussion settings;
- Security of interconnected IoT employed in chemical plant and manufacturing industrial control systems.