This course is no longer accepting applications for 2022/23 entry. Applications are open for September 2023/24 entry.
Digital service design is the art of building customer experiences with a strong digital element. The Digital Service Design MSc is a new multidisciplinary course which has been specifically created to help graduates develop exceptional user experience design for digital products and services.
The course has been designed in collaboration with Wilson Fletcher, a leading digital design studio, to closely mirror current professional practices. In so doing, the course will help you develop a deep knowledge of both design theory and practice as well as equip you for employment in the digital sector.
You’ll work on a number of individual and group projects based on real-world briefs, which will help you develop the technical, interpersonal, creative and strategic skills needed to succeed in the digital service design industry.
You’ll be able to explore areas of design and rapid prototyping, innovation methodologies, interview and workshop facilitation, journey mapping, customer research methodologies, project management, how to develop and present actionable recommendations, and much more.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- Generate ideas and turn them into viable concepts and working prototypes
- Work in multidisciplinary teams in a studio setting and take responsibility for your work
- Problem-solve and design for both user and business needs
- Understand the skills, tools and methodologies necessary to develop compelling strategies, products and services
- Design and develop experiences, products and services of high quality with digital media at their core
- Demonstrate a critical and practical understanding of the issues relevant to digital service design and their use in the context of modern industry and commercial environments
- Have a thorough and clear understanding of the methodologies and professional skills necessary for effective digital service design in a business environment
- Reflect – critically and in-depth – on relevant aspects of the state-of the art of both the practice and theory of digital service design
Selected students may have the opportunity for a company-sponsored dissertation project.
Graduates will be equipped to work in leading digital design agencies and consultancies as well as innovative blue-chip companies that have design departments. Fields you might go into after this course include app development, copywriting and content design, digital design, digital product design, digital project management, front-end development, information architecture, interaction design, product management, research, service design, strategy, user experience design, UX architecture.
Brunel’s Women in Engineering and Computing mentoring scheme provides our female students with invaluable help and support from their industry mentors.