Dr Ahmed Zobaa
Howell Building 217
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265335
Dr. Zobaa received his B.Sc.(Hons), M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Power & Machines from Cairo University, Egypt, in 1992, 1997, and 2002, respectively. Also, he received his Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice from the University of Exeter, UK in 2010. Also, he received the Doctoral of Science from Brunel University London, UK in 2017. He was an Instructor during 1992-1997, a Teaching Assistant during 1997-2002, and an Assistant Professor during 2002-2007 at Cairo University, Egypt. From 2007 to 2010, he was a Senior Lecturer in renewable energy at University of Exeter, UK. Currently, he is a Reader in electrical and power engineering, an MSc Course Director and a Full Member of the Institute of Energy Futures at Brunel University London, UK. His main areas of expertise include power quality, (marine) renewable energy, smart grids, energy efficiency, and lighting applications.
Teaching, Learning and Student Experience
- Delivering lectures and tutorials.
- Designing, preparing and developing undergraduate and postgraduate modules, and teaching materials.
- Developing and implementing new methods of teaching to reflect changes in research.
- Assessing students' coursework.
- Setting and marking examinations.
- Supervising final year undergraduate projects, Masters Dissertations or PhD theses.
- Supervising my own research group.
- Supporting students through a pastoral or advisory role.
- Undertaking personal research projects and actively contributing to our research profile.
- Writing up research and prepare it for publication.
- Preparing bids to attract funding to our department and institute for a range of research projects.
Leadership, Management and collegiality
- Leading undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
- Organising and Managing MSc Sustainable Electrical Power.
- Carrying out administrative tasks related to the department.
External Impact and Markers of Esteem
- Contributing to professional conferences and seminars in my field of expertise.
- Establishing collaborative links with other institutions, industrial, commercial and public organisations.
- Engaging with the professional bodies activities.
- External examining at peer institutions.
- Developing and teaching power systems training courses in Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab of Emirates.
Newest selected publications
Vaccaro, A., Zobaa, AF., Shanmugam, PK. and Kumar, KS. (2020) 'Research trends and challenges in smart grids'. IntechOpen. ISSN 13: 978-1-78923-892-1
Vaccaro, A., Pepiciello, A. and Zobaa, AF. (2020) 'Open problems and enabling methodologies for smart grids', inResearch trends and challenges in smart grids. IntechOpen. ISBN 13: 9781789238914.
Diaaeldin, IM., Abdel Aleem, S., El-Rafei, A., Abdelaziz, A. and Zobaa, AF. (2019) 'A novel graphically based network reconfiguration for power loss minimization in large distribution systems'. Mathematics, 7 (12). pp. 1 - 17. ISSN: 2227-7390 Open Access Link
Abdel Aleem, SHE., Zobaa, AF., Balci, ME. and Ismail, SM. (2019) 'Harmonic overloading minimization of frequency-dependent components in harmonics polluted distribution systems using Harris Hawks optimization algorithm'. IEEE Access, 7 (1). pp. 100824 - 100837. ISSN: 2169-3536 Open Access Link
Zobaa, AF. (2019) 'Mixed-integer distributed ant colony multi-objective Optimization of single-tuned passive harmonic filter Parameters'. IEEE Access, 7 (1). pp. 44862 - 44870. ISSN: 2169-3536 Open Access Link