Dr Ahmed Zobaa
Howell Building 217
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265335
Dr Zobaa received his B.Sc.(Hons), M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Power & Machines from Cairo University, Egypt, in 1992, 1997, and 2002, respectively. Also, he received his Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice from the University of Exeter, UK in 2010. Also, he received the Doctoral of Science from Brunel University London, UK in 2017. He was an Instructor during 1992-1997, a Teaching Assistant during 1997-2002, and an Assistant Professor during 2002-2007 at Cairo University, Egypt. From 2007 to 2010, he was a Senior Lecturer in renewable energy at University of Exeter, UK. Currently, he is a Senior Lecturer in power systems, an MSc Course Director and a Full Member of the Institute of Energy Futures at Brunel University London, UK. His main areas of expertise include power quality, (marine) renewable energy, smart grids, energy efficiency, and lighting applications.
Teaching, Learning and Student Experience
- Delivering lectures and tutorials.
- Designing, preparing and developing undergraduate and postgraduate modules, and teaching materials.
- Developing and implementing new methods of teaching to reflect changes in research.
- Assessing students' coursework.
- Setting and marking examinations.
- Supervising final year undergraduate projects, Masters Dissertations or PhD theses.
- Supervising my own research group.
- Supporting students through a pastoral or advisory role.
- Undertaking personal research projects and actively contributing to our research profile.
- Writing up research and prepare it for publication.
- Preparing bids to attract funding to our department and institute for a range of research projects.
Leadership, Management and collegiality
- Leading undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
- Organising and Managing MSc Sustainable Electrical Power.
- Carrying out administrative tasks related to the department.
External Impact and Markers of Esteem
- Contributing to professional conferences and seminars in my field of expertise.
- Establishing collaborative links with other institutions, industrial, commercial and public organisations.
- Engaging with the professional bodies activities.
- External examining at peer institutions.
- Developing and teaching power systems training courses in Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab of Emirates.
Newest selected publications
Abdul Kahara, NHB. and Zobaa, AF. (2018) 'Application of mixed integer distributed ant colony optimization to the design of undamped single-tuned passive filters based harmonics mitigation'. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation. ISSN: 2210-6502 Open Access Link
Sharaf, AM., Omar, N., Gandoman, FH., Zobaa, AF. and Abdel Aleem, SHE. (2018) 'Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Drives and Smart Grid Interfacing', in Yahyaoui, I. (ed.) Advances in Renewable Energies and Power Technologies. Elsevier. , Volume 2: Biomass, Fuel Cells, Geothermal Energies, and Smart Grids. pp. 413 - 439. ISBN 10: 0128131853. Open Access Link
Sakar, S., Balci, ME., Abdel Aleemb, SHE. and Zobaa, AF. (2018) 'Integration of large- scale PV plants in non-sinusoidal environments: considerations on hosting capacity and harmonic distortion limits'. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 82 (1). pp. 176 - 186. ISSN: 1364-0321 Open Access Link
Osama, RA., Zobaa, AF., Abdelaziz, AY., Swief, R. and Ezzat, M. (2017) 'A probabilistic approach for maximizing the islanding success in microgrids'.The Nineteenth International Middle East Power Systems Conference (MEPCON’17). Cairo, Egypt. 19 - 21 DecemberOpen Access Link
Abd Rahman, NH. and Zobaa, AF. (2017) 'Integrated mutation strategy with modified binary PSO algorithm for optimal PMU placement'. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 13 (6). pp. 3124 - 3133. ISSN: 1941-0050 Open Access Link