Dr Mingfeng Wang
Lecturer in Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Brunel University London, 2021 - present.
- Research Fellow, Rolls-Royce UTC in Manufacturing and On-Wing Technology, Department ofMechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Nottingham, 2017-2021.
- Senior Research Associate, National Centre for Precision Farming, Harper Adams University, 2016-2017.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- B.Eng. (Hons), Central South University, China, 2008.
- M.Sc. (Distinction), Central South University, China, 2012.
- P.hD., University of Cassino and South Lazio, Italy, 2016.
- AFHEA, Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK, 2021.
Research Expertise and Interests
- Continuum robotic systems for in-situ maintenance (inspection and repair) in confined environments(e.g. aeroengine and nuclear).
- Legged robotic systems with parallel mechanisms (e.g. humanoid and hexapod robots).
- Precision farming robotic systems (e.g. laser weeding robot).
- Miniaturised robotic systems (e.g. capsule robot)
- Co-I, "Coordinated whole-body control and overall performance optimisation for a mobile snake-like robotic arm", International Exchanges 2020 Cost Share (NSFC) (IEC/NSFC/201279), £12,000, 03/2021-03/2022.
- Co-I, "In-situ sampling for inspection of pressurised water reactor using RAIN-Hex robot", Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Nuclear (EPSRC EP/R026084/1), £25,000, 06/2020-12/2020.
- Co-I, "Self-calibration system to enhance machining capability of the RAIN-Hex", Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Nuclear (EPSRC EP/R026084/1), £25,000, 06/2019-02/2020.
- PI, "Comprehensive modelling of slender continuum robots using twin-pivot compliant joints", Through-life performance: From science to instrumentation (EPSRC EP/P027121/1), £83,000, 06/2019-05/2019.
- Best paper award, IFToMM Asian Mechanisms and Machine Science Conference (Asian-MMS), 2014.
- IFToMM Young Delegates Programm, 2014, 2015.
- Excellent Student Scholarship in Lazio, Italy, 2013/14, 2014/15.
Membership of professional institutions
- Member since 2016, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE);
- Member since 2017, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society;
- Editor of STEM Education (eISSN: 2767-1925), American Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS);
- TPC member of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conf. (TAROS), Lincoln, UK, Sept 2021;
- TPC member of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conf. (TAROS), Nottingham, UK, July 2020;
- TPC member of Int. Conf. on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems (ICAS), Venice, Italy, May 2020;
Newest selected publications
Wang, M., Dong, X., Ba, W., Mohammad, A., Axinte, D. and Norton, A. (2021) 'Design, modelling and validation of a novel extra slender continuum robot for in-situ inspection and repair in aeroengine'. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 67. pp. 102054 - 102054. ISSN: 0736-5845
Ba, W., Dong, X., Mohammad, A., Wang, M., Axinte, D. and Norton, A. (2021) 'Design and validation of a novel fuzzy-logic-based static feedback controller for tendon-driven continuum robots'. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 0 ((in press)). pp. 1 - 1. ISSN: 1083-4435 Open Access Link
Camacho-Arreguin, J., Wang, M., Dong, X. and Axinte, D. (2020) 'A novel class of reconfigurable parallel kinematic manipulators: Concepts and Fourier-based singularity analysis'. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 153. pp. 103993 - 103993. ISSN: 0094-114X
Wang, M., Ceccarelli, M. and Carbone, G. (2020) 'Design and development of the cassino biped locomotor'. Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 12 (3). ISSN: 1942-4302
Leal-Naranjo, JA., Wang, M., Paredes-Rojas, JC. and Rostro-Gonzalez, H. (2020) 'Design and kinematic analysis of a new 3-DOF spherical parallel manipulator for a prosthetic wrist'. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 42 (1). ISSN: 1678-5878