Dr Mingfeng Wang
Lecturer in Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Brunel University London, 2021 - present.
- Research Fellow, Rolls-Royce UTC in Manufacturing and On-Wing Technology, Department ofMechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Nottingham, 2017-2021.
- Senior Research Associate, National Centre for Precision Farming, Harper Adams University, 2016-2017.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- B.Eng. (Hons), Central South University, China, 2008.
- M.Sc. (Distinction), Central South University, China, 2012.
- P.hD., University of Cassino and South Lazio, Italy, 2016.
- AFHEA, Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK, 2021.
- CEng, Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council UK, 2022.
Research Expertise and Interests
- Continuum robotic systems for in-situ maintenance (inspection and repair) in confined environments(e.g. aeroengine and nuclear).
- Legged robotic systems with parallel mechanisms (e.g. humanoid and hexapod robots).
- Precision farming robotic systems (e.g. laser weeding robot).
- Miniaturised robotic systems (e.g. capsule robot)
- PI, "Optimal design of a walking machine for in-situ maintenance and repair in hazardous environments", Impact Acceleration Account - Brunel University (EPSRC EP/R511493/1), £25,000, 03/2022-03/2023.
- Co-I, "Coordinated whole-body control and overall performance optimisation for a mobile snake-like robotic arm", International Exchanges 2020 Cost Share (NSFC) (IEC/NSFC/201279), £12,000, 03/2021-03/2022.
- Co-I, "In-situ sampling for inspection of pressurised water reactor using RAIN-Hex robot", Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Nuclear (EPSRC EP/R026084/1), £25,000, 06/2020-12/2020.
- Co-I, "Self-calibration system to enhance machining capability of the RAIN-Hex", Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Nuclear (EPSRC EP/R026084/1), £25,000, 06/2019-02/2020.
- PI, "Comprehensive modelling of slender continuum robots using twin-pivot compliant joints", Through-life performance: From science to instrumentation (EPSRC EP/P027121/1), £83,000, 06/2019-05/2019.
- BRIEF award, Brunel Research Initiative and Enterprise Fund, 2022
- Best paper of Year 2021, Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties, 2022
- Best paper award, IFToMM Asian Mechanisms and Machine Science Conference (Asian-MMS), 2014.
- IFToMM Young Delegates Programm, 2014, 2015.
- Excellent Student Scholarship in Lazio, Italy, 2013/14, 2014/15.
Membership of professional institutions
- Member since 2016, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE);
- Member since 2017, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society;
- Editor of STEM Education (eISSN: 2767-1925), American Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS);
- TPC member of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conf. (TAROS), Lincoln, UK, Sept 2021;
- TPC member of Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conf. (TAROS), Nottingham, UK, July 2020;
- TPC member of Int. Conf. on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems (ICAS), Venice, Italy, May 2020;
Newest selected publications
Camacho-Arreguin, JI., Wang, M., Russo, M., Dong, X. and Axinte, D. (2022) 'Novel Reconfigurable Walking Machine Tool Enables Symmetric and Nonsymmetric Walking Configurations'. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 0 (in press). pp. 1 - 12. ISSN: 1083-4435 Open Access Link
Wang, M., Leal-Naranjo, J-A., Ceccarelli, M. and Blackmore, S. (2022) 'A Novel Two-Degree-of-Freedom Gimbal for Dynamic Laser Weeding: Design, Analysis and Experimentation'. IEEE-ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 0 (in press). pp. 1 - 11. ISSN: 1083-4435 Open Access Link
Dong, X., Wang, M., Mohammad, A., Ba, W., Russo, M., Norton, A., (2022) 'Continuum Robots Collaborate for Safe Manipulation of High-Temperature Flame to Enable Repairs in Challenging Environments'. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. pp. 1 - 4. ISSN: 1083-4435et al.
Wang, M., Liu, R., Zhang, C. and Tang, Z. (2021) 'Daran robot, a reconfigurable, powerful, and affordable robotic platform for STEM education'. STEM Education, 1 (4). pp. 299 - 308. ISSN: 2767-1925 Open Access Link
Liu, C., Wang, M., Li, X. and Ratchev, S. (2021) 'Feedforward Enhancement through Iterative Learning Control for Robotic Manipulator'.2021 IEEE 17th International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE). IEEE. pp. 1067 - 1072. ISSN: 2161-8070