In the Advanced Powertrain and Fuels Centre, we have particular strengths in improving the efficiency and reducing energy cost of existing engines through developing low temperature combustion processes and their controls and regenerative braking, as well as unique methodologies for the study of fuels and engines: in particular marrying experimental and modelling methods and through the utilisation of advanced optical diagnostics. The research on regenerative braking is feeding strongly into our commercialisation activities. We have particular interests in developing efficient bio-fuel supply chains, as well as a number of novel technologies for manufacturing bio-fuel from industrial waste and new combustion technologies optimised for bio-fuels.
One of the largest and most active engine research Centres in U.K., our research on internal combustion engines goes back to the late 1960s. The work of the Centre covers both experimental and modelling aspects of engine research.
The Centre members are part of European Network of Excellence (NOE) on Combustion Engines.
Over the past 15 years we have conducted pioneering research on the fundamentals and development of advanced internal combustion engines and their fuels, covering both experimental and modelling studies. We are also a core member of the European Union’s Network of Excellence in Combustion Engines.
Our research areas:
- Advanced Gasoline engines and their fuels
- Advanced Diesel engines, fuels and aftertreatment
- Air Hybrid Engines
- Development and application of advanced optical diagnostics to IC engines
- Engine simulation and computational fluid dynamics
- Automotive Turbomachinery
- 23 February 2023
- Constant Volume Spray Studies and Nanobubble Fuel Technology (Dr Abinash Biswal)
- Analysis of Combustion Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in an Optical Single Cylinder Dual-Fuel Engine (Mr Alexander Lauterkorn)
- 7 December 2022
- Spray characteristics/PDA measurement of GDI Multi-hole injectors (Dr Milad Mirshahi)
- Experimental Investigation of combustion characteristics, Performance, and emission of a Spark Ignition Engine with 2nd Generation bio-gasoline and ethanol fuels (Mr Mohamed Mohamed)
- 26 October 2022
- IC Engine Powertrain Technology (Prof Hua Zhao)
- Influence of combustion chamber and intake ports design on in-cylinder flow and combustion characteristics of gas engine (Dr Yunjing Jiao)
- 6 September 2022
- Analysis of the synergy between engine boosting and water injection in a 2-stroke Boosted Uniflow Scavenged Direct Injection Engine (Dr Xinyan Wang)
- The impact of Diesel-hythane dual-fuel combustion on engine performance and emissions in a heavy-duty engine at low-load condition (Mr Kevin Pinto Da Mota Longo)