Before applying to ESRC, please note that all ESRC awards are subject to the ESRC and UKRI Terms and Conditions. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. They are set out in ESRC website: https://esrc.ukri.org/files/skills-and-careers/doctoral-training/postgraduate-funding-guide/
If you already know the name of a potential supervisor in these subject areas, you may contact them directly. Alternatively, you can email the following subject contacts, giving them a brief idea of what your PhD proposal is on. They will forward your details to appropriate members of staff within the subject teams and someone will get back to you discuss further.
How to Apply
Complete the studentship application form first. Please do not complete the PhD application via the online portal just yet. This will be done once a decision on the studentship has been made.For an overview of the recruitment process please click here
1. 2000 word research proposal including references.
2. Two written references, they should have a good knowledge of your academic record to date and your plans for the research project. They should be in a position to judge your suitability and preparedness for doctoral study. Only one of your two referees can be a member of your proposed (or actual) supervisory team. You may ask the supervisor of your Masters dissertation to be one of your referees. It is however not necessary for either of your referees to be a member of your supervisory team unless you have already started your PhD, in which case we would expect one of your references to be from your supervisor. References must include:
The referee’s name and their relationship to you and Comment on your previous performance/achievements
3. Your up-to-date CV;
4. Your single A4 page, single-spaced personal statement setting out why you are interested in undertaking this project;
5. Your degree certificate(s) and transcript(s);
6. Evidence of your English language capability to IELTS 7.0 or equivalent, if appropriate;
7.Completed Equal Opportunities form
Your information will be treated as strictly confidential and handled in accordance with the provisions of the GDPR. For more information please see the UKRI privacy notice.
Please email all completed documents to Emma.Smith@brunel.ac.uk with the subject header – Education/wellbeing ESRC Studentship application.
Please note that Interviews for studentships will be required. Applicants are advised to be available should they be called for interview.