Am I eligible?
Brunel University London is authorised to process US Direct Loans for students who meet the criteria.
To be able to authorise to process US Direct Loans, students need to meet the following criteria:
- you are a US citizen, an eligible non-citizen of the US or a permanent resident of the US, and you have a valid US Social Security Number,
- if you are male aged 18 to 25 inclusive, that you have registered with Selective Service,
- you are within the borrowing limits for Direct Loans.
You must also:
- be enrolled and continue to be enrolled at least half-time at Brunel University London,
- be studying on an eligible course,
- maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) during your course; and
- undertake your study or research within the UK.
Please note that you might lose Federal Student Aid eligibility in a number of ways. Some of the most common are:
- default on a Federal Student Loan,
- not maintaining satisfactory academic progress in college or career school,
- being convicted of a drug offence.
Please note that if you consider withdrawing from your course, taking a leave of absence, submitting your thesis early or going abroad to study or back to the USA, it is important that you tell us before your plans are finalised. Any of these events may have an impact on your loans and could result in loans for your course being withdrawn. It is therefore imperative that you notify your department AND the Funding Team immediately.
For more details on the eligibility criteria please see:
Is your programme eligible?
Most degree programmes at Brunel University London are eligible for Direct Loans, however some are not. Please note that the following students will NOT be entitled to borrow US Direct loans:
- students whose programme includes study or research for any length of time in the United States,
- students on a study abroad programme/Erasmus exchange programme at an institution which is not certified to receive US Federal Direct funds. If you are planning to have a study period abroad and want to borrow a US Direct loan, please contact the University Funding Team to ensure that you select an eligible overseas institution,
- students who are registered on a Distance Learning programme.