Dr Evina Katsou
Howell Building 234
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265721
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Academic / Research Career
Dr Evina Katsou is Professor in Water & Environmental Engineering and Course Director of the Water Engineering MSc at Brunel University. Evina leads the Water & Environmental Engineering group with 20 researchers. Her research is focused on: (1) Sustainable resource recovery from wastewater and safe reuse; (2) Data analytics, knowledge discovery and process modelling; and (3) Circularity & sustainability measurement and assessment. Authored 98 journal publications (h-index: 27), 12 book chapters with over 100 presentations, invited talks and patent on biopolymers recovery. Evina leads the Transformation Tools group of the Cost Action on Circular Cities, co-leads the Circular Water VLT of Water Europe and co-leads the SMART-WATER group of the ICT4Water Cluster-EC. She is a member of the drafting team of the new ISO standards on Circular Economy (Measuring and Assessing Circularity – ISO5902). She leads 11 national and international projects including activities on carbon footprint accounting and carbon neutrality Within projects RESILEX Horizon Europe, SYMBIOREM Horizon Europe (WP leader), BORECER HORIZON Europe (WP leader), HYDROUSA H2020, SmartPlant H2020, DEEP-Purple (DSS development and circularity assessment), WATER-MINING (H2020; WP leader), BL2F (H2020; WP Leader), INTCATCH (H2020), iWAYS (SPIRE H2020), Triple Carbon Reduction – OFWAT, she is responsible of the WPs related with the development and application of tools/solutions for the sustainability assessment including carbon footprint quantification and minimization. Evina has also conducts wide range of consulting activities with contracts awarded from leading UK water industry partners, including Affinity Water, Arup, Sever Trent, BuroHappold Engineering, Anglian Water.
- UKWIR Tender - Quantifying and reducing direct greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater treatment processes; Jacobs, Brunel, Cobalt Water; 2021-22
- OFWAT WATER INNOVATION Competitions; Triple Carbon Reduction; Anglian Water; 2022-24
- UKWIR Tender - What does a circular economy water industry look like? Jacobs, Brunel, Allied Waters; 2020-21
- UKWIR Tender - Where is the greatest sustainable economic benefit for resource recovery in the water cycle? Jacobs, Brunel, Allied Waters; 2020-21
- Determination of the most effective & low-cost solution for tackling the problem of galvanized iron corrosion in specific parts of the Affinity Water piping network, which is caused by the surface water imported from Grafham reservoir; October 2018 for a duration of 16 months, Value: £90,000
- Feasibility study Aqualogic AI inspired Leak Detection and Analysis, 2019-2020 Value: £100,000
- Towards Carbon neutral and Cost-efficient Sewage Treatment (CO2ST); Severn Trent, 2019-2021, Value: £150,000
- Circular Shop Window, Anglian Water, March 2019 for a duration of 14 months, Value: £100,000
- MBR design and start-up, Astana, Nazarbayev University, June 2019 for a duration of 6 months, Value: £20,000
- Technical support for the chemical-physical-respirometric control & preliminary evaluation of an EGSB reactor for the treatment of wastewater from textile industry, 40,000 Euros, SIMEM SpA, 2014
- Technical support for the evaluation & optimization of the wastewater treatment plant (technical & economic data) of the pharmaceutical company Fidia Farmaceutici SpA, Abano Terme (PD), 25,000 Euros 2013-2014.
- Monitoring of the current treatment processes & capacity of the municipal wastewater treatment plant of Maser Municipality (TV, Italy); examination & evaluation of the potential co-treatment of wastewater from the Municipality of Asolo (TV, Italy); feasibility study & technical aspects, Alto Trevigiano Servizi Srl, InnovEn srl, 15,000 Euros 2013-2014.
PhD in ‘Wastewater Treatment with the Use of Membranes’, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
MSc in Water Resources Science & Technology, Interdisciplinary-interdepartmental postgraduate diploma of specialization in the scientific sector ‘Science & technology of water resources’, Department of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
MEng in Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
- Chartered Chemical Engineer (Greece); Certificate of Competence (Chemical Engineering); Reg. No.: 47785; Ref. No.: 2301/06; Issue Date: 01/02/2006
- HEA Fellow: 27/01/2016; Achievement of Fellowship (FHEA) of the Higher Education Academy; UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)
- Mentor in the APEX (Academic Practice & Professional Excellence Framework) scheme (HEA)
CITATIONS & h-INDEX
- Publications: 77; h-index: 21
- ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2638-7579
Newest selected publications
Foglia, A., Bruni, C., Cipolletta, G., Eusebi, AL., Frison, N., Katsou, E., (2021) 'Assessing socio-economic value of innovative materials recovery solutions validated in existing wastewater treatment plants'. Journal of Cleaner Production, 322. pp. 129048 - 129048. ISSN: 0959-6526et al.
Radini, S., Marinelli, E., Akyol, Ç., Eusebi, AL., Vasilaki, V., Mancini, A., (2021) 'Urban water-energy-food-climate nexus in integrated wastewater and reuse systems: Cyber-physical framework and innovations'. Applied Energy, 298. pp. 117268 - 117268. ISSN: 0306-2619et al.
Nika, C-E., Expósito, A., Kisser, J., Bertino, G., Oral, HV., Dehghanian, K., (2021) 'Validating circular performance indicators: The interface between circular economy and stakeholders'. Water (Switzerland), 13 (16). pp. 1 - 22.Open Access Linket al.
Ghafourian, M., Stanchev, P., Mousavi, A. and Katsou, E. (2021) 'Economic assessment of nature-based solutions as enablers of circularity in water systems'. Science of the Total Environment, 792 (20 October 2021). pp. 1 - 13. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Link
Awad, S., Zhou, Y., Katsou, E., Li, Y. and Fan, M. (2021) 'A Critical Review on Date Palm Tree (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Fibres and Their Uses in Bio-composites'. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 12 (6). pp. 2853 - 2887. ISSN: 1877-2641