Dr Evina Katsou
Howell Building 234
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265721
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Academic / Research Career
Dr. Evina Katsou is Reader in Civil & Environmental Engineering and Course Director of the Water Engineering MSc at Brunel University London. Dr Katsou is leading the Water Engineering group consisting of 8 PhD students and 4 postdoctoral researchers. She has authored 77 publications (h-index: 21), 11 book chapters, over 100 presentations in international conferences/workshops and has delivered over 16 invited talks. Dr Katsou has 1 patent on the production of biopolymers within wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs). She is the PI of 6 H2020 and 4 UK National projects, as well as Co-I of 4 H2020 projects in the area of circular economy. Evina is currently leading the WG (Transformation Tools) of the Cost Action CA17133 and co-leading the SMART WATER working group of the ICT4Water Cluster, while she is member of the drafting team of the New ISO standards TC 323 on Circular Economy (WG: measuring circularity). Within projects HYDROUSA (H2020; Technical Director), SmartPlant (H2020; Technical Director), DEEP-Purple (BBI; DSS development and circularity assessment), WATER-MINING (H2020; WP leader), BL2F (H2020; WP Leader), INTCATCH (H2020), iWAYS (SPIRE H2020) she is leader of the WPs related with the development and application of tools for the optimization, monitoring, assessment and validation of the new processes / products. Dr Katsou has also conducts wide range of consulting activities with contracts awarded from leading UK water industry partners, including Affinity Water, Arup, Sever Trent, BuroHappold Engineering, Anglian Water.
- Determination of the most effective & low-cost solution for tackling the problem of galvanized iron corrosion in specific parts of the Affinity Water piping network, which is caused by the surface water imported from Grafham reservoir; 2019-2020
- Circular Economy Shop Window, Anglian Water 2019-2020
- MBR design and start-up, Astana, Nazarbayev University, 2019-2020
- Technical support for the chemical-physical-respirometric control & preliminary evaluation of an EGSB reactor for the treatment of wastewater from textile industry, SIMEM SpA, 2014
- Technical support for the evaluation & optimization of the wastewater treatment plant (technical & economic data) of the pharmaceutical company Fidia Farmaceutici SpA, Abano Terme (PD), 2013-2014.
- Monitoring of the current treatment processes & capacity of the municipal wastewater treatment plant of Maser Municipality (TV, Italy); examination & evaluation of the potential co-treatment of wastewater from the Municipality of Asolo (TV, Italy); feasibility study & technical aspects, Alto Trevigiano Servizi Srl, InnovEn srl, 2013-2014.
- Monitoring of the wastewater treatment plant of the Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, 2010
- Disposal of the treated wastewater of the Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery & monitoring of the sea water & sediments in the vicinity of the outfall, Hellenic Petroleum, 2010
- Monitoring & improvement of the industrial & municipal wastewater treatment plants of the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI), HAI, 2010
- Environmental assessment of the disposal of the treated wastewaters of the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, 2009
PhD in ‘Wastewater Treatment with the Use of Membranes’, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
MSc in Water Resources Science & Technology, Interdisciplinary-interdepartmental postgraduate diploma of specialization in the scientific sector ‘Science & technology of water resources’, Department of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
MEng in Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
- Chartered Chemical Engineer (Greece); Certificate of Competence (Chemical Engineering); Reg. No.: 47785; Ref. No.: 2301/06; Issue Date: 01/02/2006
- HEA Fellow: 27/01/2016; Achievement of Fellowship (FHEA) of the Higher Education Academy; UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)
- Mentor in the APEX (Academic Practice & Professional Excellence Framework) scheme (HEA)
CITATIONS & h-INDEX
- Publications: 77; h-index: 21
- ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2638-7579
Newest selected publications
Foglia, A., Bruni, C., Cipolletta, G., Eusebi, AL., Frison, N., Katsou, E., (2021) 'Assessing socio-economic value of innovative materials recovery solutions validated in existing wastewater treatment plants'. Journal of Cleaner Production, 322. pp. 129048 - 129048. ISSN: 0959-6526et al.
Radini, S., Marinelli, E., Akyol, Ç., Eusebi, AL., Vasilaki, V., Mancini, A., (2021) 'Urban water-energy-food-climate nexus in integrated wastewater and reuse systems: Cyber-physical framework and innovations'. Applied Energy, 298. pp. 117268 - 117268. ISSN: 0306-2619et al.
Nika, CE., Expósito, A., Kisser, J., Bertino, G., Oral, HV., Dehghanian, K., (2021) 'Validating circular performance indicators: The interface between circular economy and stakeholders'. Water (Switzerland), 13 (16). pp. 2198 - 2198.et al.
Ghafourian, M., Stanchev, P., Mousavi, A. and Katsou, E. (2021) 'Economic assessment of nature-based solutions as enablers of circularity in water systems'. Science of the Total Environment, 792 (20 October 2021). pp. 1 - 13. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Link
Awad, S., Zhou, Y., Katsou, E., Li, Y. and Fan, M. (2021) 'A Critical Review on Date Palm Tree (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Fibres and Their Uses in Bio-composites'. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 12 (6). pp. 2853 - 2887. ISSN: 1877-2641