Dr Evina Katsou
Howell Building 234
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265721
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Institute of Environment, Health and Societies
- Environment and Health
Academic / Research Career
I am Chemical Engineer with a Master of Science on Water Resources Science and Technology from the Department of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). I obtained my PhD on ‘Wastewater treatment with the use of membranes’ from NTUA on December 2011. From January 2012 up to August 2014 I worked as a post doctoral researcher in the Group of Franco Cecchi at the University of Verona in Italy.
My research activities are related to the development and application of state-of-the-art processes/technologies for wastewater treatment. In my research I have designed and applied various processes for wastewater treatment including membrane bioreactors (MBR), sequencing batch reactors (SBR), upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB), fixed bed columns packed with physical and regenerated minerals and reverse osmosis for the post treatment of MBR effluents. My research also focuses on advanced biological nutrient removal from industrial and municipal effluents through nitritation/denitritation and the completely autotrophic nitrogen removal process. Furthermore, I study the production of bioplastics in wastewater treatment plants.
- Jan 2012-Sep 2014: Research Fellow, Department of Biotechnology, University of Verona, Italy University of Verona
- 2008–2011: Doctorate Degree in ‘Wastewater Treatment with the Use of Membranes’ Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA).
- 2006–2008: Master of Sciencein Water Resources Science and Technology (MSc), Department of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens
- 2000–2005: Diploma of Chemical Engineering,Department of Chemical Engineering,National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
Member of the international water association
Member of the technical chamber of Greece
I provide consultancy to Public and Private bodies, on Pollution and Environmental Protection Technologies, as described below:
- Technical support for the physical, chemical and respirometric control and preliminary evaluation of an EGSB reactor for the treatment of wastewater from textile industry, SIMEM SpA, 2014, SIMEM SpA, 2014
- Technical support for the evaluation and optimization of the wastewater treatment plant (technical and economic data) of the pharmaceutical company Fidia Farmaceutici SpA, Abano Terme (PD), Italy, 2013-2014.
- Monitoring of current the treatment processes and capacity of the municipal wastewater treatment plant of Maser Municipality (TV, Italy). Examination and evaluation of the potential co-treatment of wastewater from the Municipality of Asolo (TV, Italy) – Feasibility study and technical aspects, Italy, Alto Trevigiano Servizi Srl, InnovEn srl 2013-2014.
- Monitoring of the wastewater treatment plant of Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, 2010.
- Disposal of treated wastewater of the Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery and monitoring of the sea water and sediments in the vicinity of the outfall, Hellenic Petroleum, 2010.
- Monitoring and improvement of industrial and municipal wastewater treatment plants of the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI), HAI, 2010.
- Environmental assessment from the disposal of the treated wastewaters of the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, 2009.
I am member of the Cost Action Water_2020: ‘Conceiving Wastewater Treatment in 2020 - Energetic, environmental and economic challenges’
This Action brings together leading professionals working on complementary areas of wastewater treatment (WWT) at Research Institutions, Industries and Water Agencies from 17 European countries.
More information is available in the following link: http://www.water2020.eu/
I participated in the organization of the2nd IWA Specialized International Conference “Ecotechnologies for Wastewater Treatment (EcoSTP2014) which was organized in Verona, Italy on 23-25 June 2014 (http://www.ecostp.org/)
Newest selected publications
Egas, D., Vasilaki, V., Katsou, E., Stanchev, P., Ponsá, S. and Colon, J. (2019) 'Implementation of the Product Environmental Footprint Category Rules for dairy products: An approach to assess nitrogen emissions in a mass balanced dairy farm system'. Journal of Cleaner Production, 215. pp. 1149 - 1159. ISSN: 0959-6526 Open Access Link
Spinelli, M., Eusebi, AL., Vasilaki, V., Katsou, E., Frison, N., Cingolani, D. and (2018) 'Critical analyses of nitrous oxide emissions in a full scale activated sludge system treating low carbon-to-nitrogen ratio wastewater'. Journal of Cleaner Production, 190. pp. 517 - 524. ISSN: 0959-6526et al.
Frison, N., Malamis, S., Katsou, E., Bolzonella, D. and Fatone, F. (2018) 'Enhanced retention of deammonification microorganisms for the treatment of psycrophilic anaerobic digestate'. Chemical Engineering Journal, 344. pp. 633 - 639. ISSN: 1385-8947
Hoslett, J., Massara, T., Malamis, S., Ahmad, D., Den Boogaert, IV., Katsou, E., (2018) 'Surface water filtration using granular media and membranes: A review'. Science of the Total Environment, 639. pp. 1268 - 1282. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Linket al.
Vasilaki, V., Volcke, E., Nandi, A., van Loosdrecht, MCM. and Katsou, E. (2018)