Dr Evina Katsou
Howell Building 234
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265721
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Sustainable resource recovery from wastewater and safe reuse
- Data analytics, knowledge discovery and process modelling
- Circularity & sustainability measurement and assessment
The focus of my research is on the treatment of industrial and municipal effluents through the application of state-of-the-art biological and physicochemical processes. I have successfully applied innovative techniques for the treatment of industrial wastewater including combined adsorption-filtration processes, membrane bioreactor – reverse osmosis (MBR-RO) systems, anaerobic MBRs, as well as fixed bed column packed with physical and regenerated minerals. Currently, my work is concentrated on advanced biological nutrients removal from wastewater including the partial nitrification/denitrification and the complete autotrophic nitrogen removal (i.e. nitritation/anammox) processes. My research has developed a new dimension in deployment of advanced data analytics methods such as multivariate statistics, clustering techniques for dimensionality reduction, linear and non-linear supervised learning techniques, artificial neural networks, support vector machines, and simplified mechanistic equations to identify and reconstruct complex relationships between observed and latent process variables. The models being developed in my research are leading to accurate measurement of GHGs emissions of treatment processes, and being adopted as indicator of measuring environmental impact in a number of industrial applications (e.g. water systems, process industry and manufacturing).
Research grants and projects
Funder: Newton Advanced Fellowship - 2015/R2
Duration: October 2015 - September 2019
Funder: British Council Newton Fund: Researcher Links Workshop Grant
Duration: April 2015 -
Funder: Natural Environment Research Council
Duration: April 2015 - August 2018
Funder: European Commission
Duration: April 2015 - March 2019
- SYMBIOREM; Symbiotic, circular bioremediation systems and biotechnology solutions for improved environmental, economic and social sustainability in pollution control; CL6-2021- ZEROPOLLUTION-01-10 Coordinator, Principal Investigator, Budget for Brunel: 401,700.00 Euros, Duration: 48 months; GA preparation
- BIORECER Horizon Europe, HORIZON-CL6-2021-ZEROPOLLUTION-01-05, BIological Resources CERtifications schemes; Principal Investigator, Budget for Brunel: 610,045.00 Euros; GA preparation
- RESILEX, Resilient Enhancement for the Silicon industry Leveraging the European matriX, HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-07, Principal Investigator – WP leader; Total Budget: 11,264,442; Budget for Brunel: 687,387; 2022-2026 (GA preparation)
- I-WAYS, Innovative WAterrecoverY Solutions through recycling of heat, materials and water across multiple sectors, Co-Investigator, H2020, GA958274 (Water-waste-energy nexus model and sustainable water source assessment framework)
- Mitigating plastic waste in Indonesia; A systems analysis approach to reduce plastic waste in Indonesian societies (PISCES); Co-Investigator, UKRI; £3.5 million; 2021-2024
- Aqua-sense -Real-time, Cloud-based Clean Water Detection Monitoring & Early Alert solution Innovate UK Project No: 54969 (Developing water-specific use cases, data models, and algorithm for water quality index)
- WATER-MINING H2020:Next generation water-smart management systems: large scale demonstrations for a circular economy and society, CE-SC5-04-2019, Principal Investigator, WP Leader, H2020, GA869474 - Circular Economy (CE) package by showcasing and validating solutions at large scale, combined with the recovery of value-added resources extracted (minerals, nutrients, biopolymers etc). Holistic framework for circularity assessment of supply chains, energy and GHG optimization.
- BL2F, Black Liquor to Fuel by Efficient HydroThermal Application integrated to Pulp Mill LC-SC3-RES-23-2019, Principal Investigator, WP leader, H2020, GA884111 - Circularity assessment of Integrated HydroThermal Liquefaction process at pulp mills for biofuel production (aviation and shipping).
- HYDROUSA H2020: Demonstration of water loops with innovative regenerative business models for the Mediterranean region (HYDROUSA) HORIZON2020; CIRC-02-2016-2017, (2018-2022), Principal Investigator; Technical Manager of project; WP6 leader; Budget: 8,780,210.00 €; Budget for Brunel: 862,250.00€) - A Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystems nexus tool assessing interventions for crop production considering the interactions between water, food and energy; promoting synergies, sustainability, circular economy, and resource-use efficiency; and reducing trade-offs implicating the management of these resources. Nature Based solutions (NBS) and circularity.
- DEEP PURPLE H2020 (BBI): Conversion of diluted mixed urban bio-wastes into sustainable materials and products in flexible purple photobiorefineries Horizon 2020 H2020-BBI-JTI-2018 (GA: 837998); Principal Investigator - Demonstration of the biorefinery concept in bio-based industries (from waste to fine chemicals, packaging, self-repairing materials, crops). Production of self-repairing construction material from cellulose and biopolymers. DSS tool for the optimization and validation of the value chains in validated in environmental, economic, logistic, technical, cost scenarios (policy support).
- COST Action CA17133 (Implementing nature based solutions for creating a resourceful circular city); University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU); Principal Investigator; Working Group Leader; 2018-2023.
- PVadapt H2020; Prefabrication, Recyclability and Modularity for cost reductions in Smart BIPV systems, RES-6-2018; Co-Invsetigator, 42 months; 2019-2023.
- IQONIC Innovative strategies, sensing and process Chains for increased Quality, reconfigurability, and recyclability of Manufacturing Optoelectronics, €8,000,000; Co- Investigator. - Circularity evaluation and optimisation in micro and optoelectronic systems manufacturing process
- Strategies and Predictive Maintenance models wrapped around physical systems for Zero-unexpected-Breakdowns and increased operating life of Factories; 7,250,000€ EU-H2020-FoF programme, Budget for Brunel €750,000; Co-Investigator; 2017-2021.
- Zero-defect manufacturing strategies towards on-line production management for European factories”. €6,043,000 from the EU-H2020-FoF programme, Principal Investigator, Budget for Brunel: €720,000; Co-I; 2016-2020.
- Scale-up of low-carbon footprint Material Recovery Techniques for upgrading existing wastewater treatment Plants (SMART-Plant), HORIZON2020 WATER-1b-2015, Coordinator: University of Verona, 2016-2020 (Principal Investigator; Technical Manager of project; WP3 leader; Budget: 7,570,335.00 €; Budget for Brunel: 691,421.46€) - Novel processes (full scale) for biopolymers, water, energy, cellulose recovery. Demonstration of the use of the recovered materials to various sectors (agriculture; chemical industry, construction sector). A novel data-mining and knowledge discovery framework for GHGs emissions prediction. Environmental Technology Verification, Risk modelling and management.
- Development and application of Novel, Integrated Tools for monitoring and managing Catchments (INTCATCH), HORIZON2020 WATER-1b-2015, Brunel University, 2016-2020 (Co-Investigator, WP9 leader; Budget: 7,536,300.02 €; Budget for Brunel: 910,233.12 €) - Decision support tool, Economic and environmental Impact assessment of the developed services
- Providing insights to engineering students to tackle industrial challenges (VP1819\4\47), The Royal Academy of Engineering; 01/11/2018 – 30/08/2021 (Principal Investigator; Budget: £30,000; VP: Vincent Glancy; Global Process Engineering Leader; Arup)
- Preparing engineering students to tackle the current water industry's challenges. Visiting Professors (VP1617/29) The Royal Academy of Engineering; 01/10/2016-30/09/2019 (Principal Investigator; Budget for Brunel: £30,000; VP: Steve Kaye; Anglian Water)
- Equipping engineering students with practical industry skills and professional competence. Visiting Professors (VP1718\4\75) The Royal Academy of Engineering; 01/01/2018-31/12/2020 (Principal Investigator; Budget: £30,000; VP: Gordon Findlay; BuroHappold)
- Rutherford Fund Strategic Partner Grants 2018. Universities UK International, Co-I RF-2018-10, £133,950
- Modelling and Monitoring four Natural Flood Management programmes in London, Salmons Brook, Woodland Headwater in Harrow, Park Wood (Pinn) and Rise Park stream in Havering (PI), Brunel University London, Thames 21, Environment Agency, 150,000£; 2017 – 2020.
- Paving the WATER utilities' transition towards CIRCular Economy, WATERCIRCE, Joint call for proposals to enhance collaboration between Tampere University of Technology and Brunel University London, 01/10/2017-30/09/2018 (Principal Investigator; Budget: 20.000£)
- Advanced biological wastewater treatment processes, Newton Advanced Fellowship - 2015/R2, 2016-2020 (Principal Investigator; Budget: £106,500.00)
- Developing on line tools to monitor, control and mitigate GHG emissions in WWTPs, C-FOOT-CTRL, H2020-MSCA-RISE-2014; Coordinator: National Technical University of Athens, 2015-2019 (Principal Investigator; Budget: 711,000.00 €) - Web application for real time monitoring of the operational carbon footprint and energy consumption monitoring
- Water management and environmental impact assessment in the oil and gas industry, Grant by the British Council Newton Fund: Researcher Links Workshop Grant, 172709241, 01/10/2015 (PI; Budget: £35,860.00).
- Development of a novel model to quantify nitrous oxide emissions in the biological nutrient removal process of wastewater treatment plants, NERC DTP programme (Principal Investigator; Budget: £88,672).
- Low environmental footprint biological treatment processes for waste and wastewater treatment, LEF-BIOWASTE, Marie Curie CIG, FP7-PEOPLE, Coordinator: University of Verona, 2012-2014 (Co-investigator; Budget: 100,000.00 €).
- Sustainable management of livestock waste for the removal/recovery of nutrients, LIVE-WASTE, LIFE+, Coordinator: Technical University of Cyprus; LIFE+-Environment project: LIFE 12 ENV/CY/000544, 2013-2016 (Co-investigator; Budget: 1,073,593.00€).
- VALORGAS: Valorisation of food waste to biogas, EC, FP7-Energy-2009 2010-2013; Coordinator: University of Verona (Co-investigator).
- Development of a national strategy for adaptation to climate change adverse impacts in Cyprus, CYPADAPT, European Commission, LIFE+, LIFE10 ENV/CY/000723, 2011-2014 (Co-investigator; Budget: 679,423.50 €).
- Integrated management of bio-waste in Greece – The case study of Athens, ATHENS-BIOWASTE, European Commission, LIFE+, LIFE10 ENV/GR/000605, 2011-2014 (Co-investigator; Budget: 638,715.00 €).
- Development and implementation of a demonstration system on Integrated Solid Waste Management for Tinos in line with the Waste Framework Directive, ISWM-TINOS, European Commission, LIFE+, LIFE10 ENV/GR/000610, 2011-2014 (Co-investigator; Budget: 718,684.00 €).
- Development of an advanced, innovative, energy autonomous system for the treatment of brine from seawater desalination plants, SOL-BRINE, LIFE+, Funded by: European Commission, Coordinating beneficiary: Tinos Municipality,2010-2013. (Co-investigator; Budget: 604,844.00 €).
- Development and demonstration of an innovative household dryer for the treatment of organic waste, DRYWASTE, LIFE+, Funded by: European Commission, Coordinating beneficiary: NTUA, 2009-2012. (Co-investigator; Budget: 453,262.00 €).
- Demonstration of an integrated waste-to-energy system for energy generation from biodegradable organic waste and wastewater, INTERWASTE, LIFE+, Coordinating: Cyprus University of 2009-2012. (Co-investigator; Budget: 735,330.00€)
- Integrated management of industrial wastewater and sewage of the greater area of Oinofita – Schimatari, Funded by: Greek Ministry of Environment, Regional Planning and Public Works, Co-ordinator: NTUA, 2009-2010 (Co-investigator; Budget: 75,000.00€).
- Development and operation of an integrated, energy efficient membrane system for the advanced treatment of wastewater in Cyprus, Funded by: Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus, Co-ordinator: Cyprus University of Technology, 2008-2010 (Co-investigator; Budget: 130,000.00 €).
- Monitoring of the wastewater treatment plant of the Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, NTUA, 2010
- Disposal of the treated wastewater of the Hellenic Petroleum in the Eleusis Refinery & monitoring of the sea water & sediments in the vicinity of the outfall, Hellenic Petroleum, NTUA, 2010
- Monitoring & improvement of the industrial & municipal wastewater treatment plants of the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI), NTUA, 2010
- Environmental assessment of the disposal of the treated wastewaters of the Eleusis Refinery, Hellenic Petroleum, NTUA, 2009
- Prof Hussam Jouhara
- Prof Mizi Fan
- Mr Yonghui Zhou
- Dr Lorna Anguilano
- Dr Valentina Stojceska
- Dr Eleni Iacovidou
- Prof Jurgita Malinauskaite
- Dr Alireza Mousavi
- Dr Ioana Pisica
- Dr Stephen Kershaw
- Prof Savvas Tassou
- Prof Luiz Wrobel
- Prof Asoke Nandi
- Prof Gareth Taylor
- Visualise network
Similar research interests
- Dr Alireza Mousavi
- Dr Alban Echchelh
- Professor Xiangming Zhou
- Dr Edwin Routledge
- Dr Fabrizio Ceschin