Dr Hongying Meng
- Digital Signal Processing: wavelet transform; digital filtering; statistical signal processing; audio signal processing; mechanical signal processing (fault detection), biomedical signal processing (e.g. EMG, ECG, EEG, GSR); real-time signal processing.
- Machine Learning: Support Vector Machine (SVM); kernel methods; artificial neural networks; genetic algorithm; genetic programming, feature selection and fusion; Bayesian methods; Hidden Markov Model (HMM); deep learning; Long Short Term Memory (LSTM), Convolutional Neural Network (CNN), multi-label classification; statistical learning theory; multi-score learning, multiple classifier system, decision fusion, data mining, regression, spiking neural networks, neuromorphic computing.
- Human Computer Interaction: affective computing; emotional states recognition; facial expression analysis; multi-model interaction; movement modelling; gesture recognition, ubiquitous and pervasive computing; robot; self-driving car, ambient intelligence; multimodal emotional interaction system; interactive film; and virtual reality (VR).
- Computer Vision: biologically inspired vision systems; dynamic motion feature extraction; human action recognition; object detection; object tracking; visual surveillance; image compression; large scale image categorization; image segmentation; real-time image processing; medical image processing (CT, fMRI); embedded vision systems; 3D image processing; autonomous driving systems.
- Embedded Systems and Communications: FPGA; microcontroller (PIC, ARM); DSP (TI); smart phones; tablet; game consoles, SoC (System on Chip), IoT (Internet of Things), Controller Area Network (CAN), wireless networks and communication (ZigBee, Bluetooth, OOK, visible light communication, mmWave communication).
Research grants and projects
- Brunel Research Development Fund - New Advanced Millimetre-wave Imaging with MIMO Sparse Array, Co-I, Oct. 2021 – Apr. 2023.
- British Heart Foundation PhD Studentship - The development of a sophisticated cardiac pacing simulator: a training tool to enhance the management of post cardiac surgical patient care, PI, Oct. 2020 – Sep. 2023.
- Intel Neuromorphic Research Community Project - Spiking Sparse Distributed Memory Model and Its Implementation on Loihi Architecture, PI, Aug. 2018 - Dec. 2022.
- Royal Society and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) - Framework for image segmentation based on multi-scale feature learning, Research Exchange under Cost-share Scheme, Co-I, Mar. 2018 - Mar. 2020.
- EU Horizon 2020 (H2020-ICT-2016-2) - IoRL: Internet of Radio Light (20 partners: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/211086/factsheet/en, https://5g-ppp.eu/iorl/), Co-I, Jun. 2017 - Nov. 2020.
- Royal Society and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) - Differential Geometry and Deep Learning for Dynamic Facial Expression Analysis, Research Exchange under Cost-share Scheme, PI, Mar. 2017 - Mar. 2019.
- EPSRC - Image Analysis for Complex Data in Non Destructive Testing, Industrial CASE project with TWI Ltd. PI, Mar. 2016 – Sept. 2019.
- Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) Scholarship (4‐year fully funded PhD studentship, Malaysia), PI, Mar. 2014 ~ Feb. 2018.
- Royal Academy of Engineering - Deep learning based artificial intelligence methods for fault detection in high speed railway applications, Distinguished Visiting Fellowship Scheme (with Prof Weihua Zhang from Southwest Jiaotong University, China), PI, Jun. 2016 - Aug. 2016.
- School of Engineering & Design/Thomas Gerald Gray PGR Scholarship, PI, Oct. 2013 ~ Sep. 2016.
- Brunel Research Initiative & Enterprise Fund - Automatic Emotional State Detection and Analysis on Embedded Devices, PI. Nov. 2012 ~ Oct. 2013.
- Royal Academy of Engineering – “Real-time affective state monitoring via naturalistic facial expression on embedded systems”, Major Award of “Research Exchange with China and India” scheme, PI, Jun. 2012 ~ Sep. 2013. (With Prof. Yangdong Deng from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.)
- EPSRC - Emo&Pain: Pain rehabilitation: E/Motion-based automated coaching. (as an UCL honorary research associate, http://www.emo-pain.ac.uk/), Mar. 2010 ~ May. 2014.
- Prof Asoke Nandi
- Dr Mohammad Swash
- Prof Maozhen Li
- Prof John Cosmas
- Prof Wamadeva Balachandran
- Dr Maysam Abbod
- Dr Zhengwen Huang
- Dr Monica Pereira
- Prof Kate Hone
- Visualise network
Similar research interests
- Professor Xiangming Zhou
- Dr Anastasia Anagnostou
- Manoj Dora
- Dr Fabrizio Ceschin
- Professor Zidong Wang