2018 saw changes to the ID documents required for applications from non EEA nationals. All non EEA nationals must now meet the same right to work requirements as individuals entering the UK to work. This means there are constraints on the number of and type of ID students can use. A list of Non EEA primary ID for use in the DBS application can be found below.
- When you start the application you will be asked if your application role is unpaid or paid or for study- students fall under the STUDY bracket and you must select STUDY.
- There are limited forms of ID that you can use, you will be aksed to confirm YES or NO to various forms of ID, please note that if you select no to all forms of ID the application will become locked and you will need to email DBS@brunel.ac.uk to unlock your application. Please do not click on the option that states you have no more ID to choose from, at this stage close the application and contact the DBS team for help.
- You will be asked to select an option that matches your right to work requirements i.e. which which type of passport and visa you hold – select the option that states: current passport endorsed to show that the holder is allowed to stay in the UK and is currently allowed to do the type of work in question. This is the status that will apply to most applicants.
- Once the application is complete you MUST print the verification letter and take your ID to a professional person to be authenticated. If you are in a country affected by the coronavirus outbreak and are unable to visit your Professional Verifier you may be able to complete your ID check in other ways. Please contact your professional verifier regarding the options available to you. If you have any concerns please contact us by email.
- The completed verification letter must be emailed to DBS@brunel.ac.uk so that our team can release your application to the DBS. If you wait to email this, your registration will be delayed.
If you wait until you reach the UK to complete the DBS application you will NOT be able to register on time. You will need to have proof of UK residence before you can complete the DBS application.
To get this you will have to:
1) Open a bank account in the UK. Make an appointment to open an account.
2) Wait for the account opening letter to be sent to you- you will not receieve this on the day you open the accound.
3) You will then need your DBS application to be changed to the post office UK route. This requires you to go to the post office to have your ID documents verified. This costs an additionall £11.
This process can take some weeks to complete. We strongly recommend that you complete the application in your home country BEFORE coming to the UK.
Identity documents: The choice of documents for you to choose from is very limited. This is due to the right to work changes that the Government introduced and Brunel have to abide by these changes. A full list can be found here: ID Documents for students who live overseas (not in the UK) | Brunel University London
We advise that you start the process early by planning ahead and applying for a photo card driving licence and a bank account. We can accept a bank statement from a UK bank with branches abroad, such as HSBC, and can now accept bank statements from banks outside the EEA. Please make sure you read all the options presented to you.