Digital Media Systems and Design
Internet of Radio Light (IoRL): Research for the IoRL project interweaves digital design with the architectural interior design of spaces and the electronic design of the light roses. Further research within IoRL will integrate digital media (mobile phones, laptop/tablet PCs, SHD/UHD TVs and Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) headsets) in the radio-light internet of small family homes (BRE home demonstrator), multi-occupancy high rise homes, buildings with public access (museum demonstrator) and public places (train station and supermarket demonstrators).
5G for Tactile Internet: Redesigning the core network using Software Defined Networks (SDN) so that Tactile Internet traffic gets priority route through it thereby obtaining low end-to-end latencies.
Digital Media for Interactive and Tactile Internet: Research in the development of digital media for the remote driving of cars and tele-control of robots for tele-surgery.
5G Network Design: Redesigning mobile phone base stations so that the radio signal can be steered towards individual or groups of user equipment whilst minimising the noise induced to other user equipment due to the effect of side lobes.
Health and Safety Product Monitoring: Developing an information system to monitor the usage of Internet of Things (IoT) enabled health and safety products, such as first aid boxes, ear plug dispensers and fire extinguishers, in hospitals and companies and to organise the management of their replenishment using an Artificial Intelligence (AI) system that predicts their usage trends.
Digital TV Transmission Optimisation: Developing channel estimation and equalisation technologies and MIMO diversity technologies to optimise the transmission of TV RF signals to homes.
Radio Network Planning: Formulating the deployment of small cells as a multi-objective problem for cost, coverage and network throughput in order to minimise cost (number of deployed small cells) while maximising service area coverage and network throughput simultaneously.
Antenna Design and Coverage Optimisation: Developing accurate geographical coverage prediction maps for FM and UHF for channel and frequency allocations and to avoid unwanted interferences and optimising the design of antennas to obtain desired coverage areas.
Current PhD Students
- Ben Meunier - Internet of Radio Light Product Design
- Kareem Ali - Internet of Radio Light Electronic Systems
- Nawar Jawad - Internet of Radio Light Networks
- Jabbar Al Dulaimi - Internet of Things in Healthcare and Safety Products Management
- David Aondoakaa - Optimisation of Coverage in 5G Cellular Networks
- Xu Cheng - 3D MIMO Resource Management
- Mukhald Salih - Software Defined Evolved Packet Core
- Emmanouil Tziris - Antenna And Coverage Optimisation
- Spiros Zettas - DVB-T2 Cross Channel Optimisation transmitting H.264 video
- Stylianos Kasampalis - Modelling and Coverage Improvement of DVB-T Networks
Completed PhD Students
- Majdi Suleiman - Dynamic Intelligent MANET Management System PhD (January 2017)
- Hasanein Al Jaberi - Load Balance & Avoiding Congestion in EIGRP Networks by using the characteristics of the OpenFlow PhD (February 2017)
- Ilias Nikolaros - Cross layer OFDM System PhD (February 2015)
- Mohammadreza Behjati - Advanced LTE Cognitive Networks for Handover Power Control and Intercell Interference Management PhD (March 2015)
- Sinan Khwandah - System Optimisation and Radio Planning for Future LTE Advanced Networks PhD (March 2015)
- Ioannis Paraskevopoulos - Serious Gaming for Military and Healthcare Applications PhD (November 2014)
- Kassim Al-Hassani - Measurement and Analysis of Wireless Radio Environment in Iraq PhD (September 2014)
- Muhammad Nawaz - Design and implementation of Perceptual Video Coding Techniques for High Definition Video PhD (October 2013)
- Muhammed Al-Momin - Flow Modelling of National and Regional optical networks for next generation Internet services PhD (October 2013)
- Saba Al-Rubaye - Access Network management and Control PhD (November 2012)
- Anwer Al-Dulaimi - Cognitive Networks Performance Modelling and Analysis PhD (October 2012)
- Okechukwu Muogilim - Efficient Routing Protocol and Flow Control using Traffic Engineering PhD (March 2011)
- Raffaele DiBari - Measurement of Diversity in Broadcast networks PhD (January 2009)
- Hamid Shirazi - Authentication System for Broadcast Set top Boxes PhD (January 2009)
- Yue Zhang - Optimal Transmitter and Receiver Diversity Technologies in DVB-T/H Networks PhD (January 2008)
- Leina Elgohari - Impact of Organizational Structures on Scenario-Based Design: A Case-Based Study PhD (2007)
- Kannan Krishnapillai - Programme and Service Metadata Creation System for Converged Digital Broadcast and Telecommunication Services PhD (July 2007)
- Frank Sun - Value Added Middleware for Converged Digital Broadcast and Telecommunication System PhD (April 2006)
- Emmanuel Tsekleves - Automated Generation of TV User Interfaces and Applications PhD (September 2006)
- Ricky Constantinides - Automated 3D Facial Expression Creator and Animator MPhil (September 2006)
- Cenkai Yang - Semi-Automated Body Animator MPhil (September 2006)
- Wendy Day - Linking 2D Harris Matrix with 3D Stratigraphic Visualisations: an Integrated Approach to Archaeological Documentation MPhil (September 2005)
- Alan Lucas - System Architectures for Converged Digital Broadcast and Telecom Terminals PhD (July 2005)
- Lishi Zheng - Parallel Video Encoding for Converging DVB-T and UMTS Services PhD (November 2004)
- Nisha Joseph - Replication Databases for Archaeologists MPhil (July 2004)
- Damian Green - Stratigraphic Visualisation for Archaeological Investigation PhD (December 2003)
Research project(s) and grant(s)
IoRL-Internet of Radio Light - Funded by EU, Horizon 2020, ICT. 2017-2020. €750k (to my research team)
Robot purchase and installation - CEDPS College Equipment funding within the theme “Internet of things”. 2015.
3D-VIVANT - Live Immerse Video-Audio Interactive Multimedia - Funded by EU, FP7, IST. 2010-2013. £700k (to Brunel)
PLUTO -Physical Layer DVB Transmission Optimisation - Funded by EU, FP6, IST. 2006-2008. £500k (to Brunel)
TV Authentication - Funded by Strategy & Technology Ltd. 2006-2008. £25k
Broadcast Multimedia TV - Funded by BMTV, West Focus. 2006-2007. £55k.
INSTINCT - IP-based Networks, Services and TermINals for Converging SysTems - Funded by EU, FP6, IST. 2004-2005. £750k (to Brunel)
SAVANT - Synchronised and Scaleable AV Content Across Networks - Funded by EU, FP6, IST. 2002-2004. £250k (to Brunel)
CONFLUENT - Convergent networks for commercial applications in UMTS and DVB-T systems - Funded by EU, FP6, IST. 2002-2003. £150k (to Brunel)
CISMUMDUS - Convergence of IP services for mobile users in DVB and UMTS networks - Funded by EU, FP5, IST. 2001-2003. £500k (to Brunel)
3D MURALE - 3D Measurement & Virtual Reconstruction of Ancient Lost Worlds of Europe - Funded by EU, FP5, IST. 2001-2003. £250k (to Brunel)
Microscope imaging - DTI, Teaching Company Scheme. 2000-2001. £60k
SAMBITS - Advanced Multimedia Broadcast & IT Services - Funded by EU, FP5, IST. 2000-2001. £230k (to Brunel)
- Dr Take Itagaki
- Dr Nila Nilavalan
- Dr Hongying Meng
- Mr Kareem Ali
- Mr Frederick Weimer
- Prof Hamed Al-Raweshidy
- Prof Gareth Taylor
- Visualise network
Similar research interests