Dr Alireza Mousavi
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Applied Control
- Systems Engineering
- Computing and Software Engineering
- Autonomous Systems & Robotics
- Machine Learning and AI
For list of publications: Publications
· Real-Time Systems encompassing Data Acquisition, Sensitivity Analysis, and Systems Modelling. We are engaged with Machine Tools Manufacturer, Continuous Systems Process, Micro-Electronics, Laser and Opto-Electronics Fabrication and Manufacturing, Penetrating and Surface Technology detection and Quality Inspection, Aerospace and Aviation (Flight Data Analysis, Scenario Analysis, Fault Diagnostics, and Predictive Maintenance), Automotive (Control and Optimisation of Safety Systems). Further applications in real-time performance monitoring and optimisation of Power Plants and Factory Performance Optimisation. (see Publications and Activities)
· Systems Modelling and Simulation: Application of discrete event modelling and simulation for measuring and optimisation of plant/shopfloor performance optimisation. Measurement of key performance indicators in industrial systems including manufacturing, health care, retail, logistics, and service industry. Linking internal resource performance with external and environmental factors (secondary models) such as customer satisfaction, environmental impact and complex socio-economics factors.
. Data-Driven Learning Predictive Systems Failure, Risk and Threat modelling including physical and digital systems i.e. machines, networked machines (process), and systems of systems.
· Mathematical Modelling and Computing: Application of Physical (in forms of Transfer Functions), analytical, stochastic and heuristic modelling in describing and controlling complex systems and presenting them in the form of software tools.
For more information: http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~emstaam/
Systems Engineering REsearch Group (SERG) Website: http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~emstaam/SERG_BRUNEL/index.html
Research grants and projects
Funder: European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation
Duration: October 2017 - July 2021
H2020-Factories of the Future programme
Funder: European Commission
Duration: October 2016 - September 2020
In this project Brunel will offer event-based adaptive control and optimisation solution to minimise defect in the discrete automated manufacturing process. The machines and the robots will adapt to the variations in material, customer requirements and overall environmental conditions with the purpose to reduce production defect to a minimum and eventually to zero.
Major Recent Research Grants:
Classified in 4 categories.
- Smart Advanced Manufacturing Systems (Discrete)
- IQONIC (PI) Innovative strategies, sensing and process Chains for increased Quality, reconfigurability, and recyclability of Manufacturing Optoelectronics; H2020, 2019-2023 (Total 8M Euros). Coordinated by FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG, and with 16 industrial partners.
- ZBReak (PI): Strategies and Predictive Maintenance models wrapped around physical systems for Zero-unexpected-Breakdowns and increased operating life of Factories; EU-H2020-FoF programme, (Total 7,3M Euro, 2017-2021). Coordinated AIMEN, and with 15 industrial partners.
- ZFactor (PI) Zero-defect manufacturing strategies towards on-line production management for European factories”. EU-H2020-FoF programme, 2016-2020 (Total 6M Euro). Coordinated by CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY HELLAS (CERTH), and with 12 partners.
2. Automation and Smart Process Engineering:
- WATER-MINING (CI), Next generation water-smart management systems: large scale demonstrations for a circular economy and society; CE-SC5-04-2019 WP Leader, Grant Agreement Preparation (Total grant 17M Euro) – Coordinated by Delft University, 38 public and private partners and 4 linked third parties in 12 countries.
- BL2F (CI), Black Liquor to Fuel by Efficient HydroThermal Application integrated to Pulp Mill LC-SC3-RES-23-2019; 12 partners, (total grant 7M Euro)
- DEEP PURPLE (PI), Conversion of diluted mixed urban bio-wastes into sustainable materials and products in flexible purple photobiorefineries; Horizon 2020 H2020-BBI-JTI-2018; WP leader (total grant 6M Euro). Partners Coordinated by FCC AQUALIA SA, with 15 partners.
- HYDROUSA (CI), Demonstration of water loops with innovative regenerative business models for the Mediterranean region; HORIZON2020; CIRC-02-2016-2017, duration 2018-2023 (total grant 11M Euro). Coordinated by National Technical University of Athens with 38 partners.
- Determination of the most effective & low-cost solution for tackling the problem of galvanized iron corrosion in specific parts of the Affinity Water piping network, which is caused by the surface water imported from Grafham reservoir (consultancy); October 2018-Dec 2021 months, income £120K
- Towards Carbon neutral and Cost-efficient Sewage Treatment (consultancy) (CO2ST); Severn Trent, 2019-2021, income £150K
- Ad-bio (CI), Advanced biological wastewater treatment processes, Newton Advanced Fellowship - 2015/R2, 2016- Oct 2020 (income £107K)
- SMART-Plant (CI/PI), Scale-up of low-carbon footprint Material Recovery Techniques for upgrading existing wastewater treatment Plants; HORIZON2020 WATER-1b-2015, 26 partners (2016-2020) (Total 7.6M Euro, income £630K) – completed February 2020.
- Circular Shop Window (consultancy); Anglian Water, March 2019-2021, income £90K
- CFoot-Control (CI): Developing on line tools to monitor, control and mitigate GHG emissions in WWTPs, (2014-2018), 6M Euros income £500K. Coordinated by National Technical University of Athens, 6 partners and 10 industrial collaborators.
- MBR design and start-up (consultancy); Astana, Nazarbayev University, income £10K, completed May 2020.
3. AI and Machine Learning Inspired Automation and Smartification of Industry Systems
- USA-Airforce-Afwerx Award (PI): Automatic quality and provenance evaluation of micro and electronic components and assembly systems, US Airforce Funded project, May 2018-Jan 2020, income $500K. Project partners SCANNA (UK), SUPPLY DYNAMICS INC (USA).
- HiSTEED (PI) Finding Hidden Explosives in Electrical Items - High-Speed Scanning for detecting Tampered Electrical Electronic Devices; UK DSTL/FASS Defence and Security Accelerator Programme, Oct 2018- Jul 20, income £336K. Partners Smiths Detection and ICONAL
4. Environment Science and Engineering
- Circular-City (CI), COST Action CA17133, Implementing nature-based solutions for creating a resourceful circular city; Digitalisation Working Group Leader; 2018-2023, (Total grant 20M Euros) in partnership with a wide range of academic and industrial partners from 37 European countries.
- Modelling and Monitoring four Natural Flood Management programmes in London, Salmons Brook, Woodland Headwater in Harrow, Park Wood (Pinn) and Rise Park stream in Havering (CI). In partnership with Thames 21, Environment Agency, 2017-2020, (income £150K).
- Dr Morad Danishvar
- Dr Sebelan Danishvar
- Prof Maozhen Li
- Dr Evina Katsou
- Dr Zhengwen Huang
- Dr Susan Grant
- Prof Afshin Mansouri
- Dr Panagiota Smyrni
- Dr Lei Zou
- Dr Hang Geng
- Prof Hamed Al-Raweshidy
- Dr Tatiana Kalganova
- Prof Gareth Taylor
- Prof Zidong Wang
- Visualise network